PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Cutting my own flowers over my neighbours' boundary

Options
Thought you people would know as it's a boundary thing.

I have flowers growing up a trellis type fence on the boundary with my neighbours. Can I lean over/reach through and cut flowers that are poking through on my neighbours' side? Do the flowers on their side still belong to me?

Just curious really. My neighbours are lovely and really don't mind what I do.

Comments

• trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to keep that neighbourly love, can you just have a quick chat with them first, and let them know what you want to do?
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If your neighbours were to cut back plants planted on your side but hanging over the boundary, they are supposed to offer you the cuttings back first. So going by that, there shouldn't be an issue with you cutting flowers hanging on their side.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    legally your position to no different to the more common question associated with hedge cutting where the hedge is on your side of the boundary

if the neighbour cuts the hedge (flowers) then legally they must ask you as the hedge owner if you want the cuttings back

flowers therefore are your property and if cut should be returned to you

obviously however never resort to "legalities" when it comes to neighbourly issues unless you are already at loggerheads and (GM's infamous) tea and cake discussion stage has already been tried but failed.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The flowers are yours - in fact, there would be more of an issue if they wanted to cut them. Cut away - you could always pop round with a bunch if you wanted to.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. As I said, I'm more curious than anything. They're on holiday at the moment so wouldn't care one way or another. It's just as I was leaning over to cut them yesterday I suddenly felt that I was being a bit naughty (in a one step up from running through wheat fields kind of way).:)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They'll look nice in an old teapot on the table when you invite the neighbours round for tea.

(and, of course.....)
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Just a separate question - who owns the fence?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    They'll look nice in an old teapot on the table when you invite the neighbours round for tea.

(and, of course.....)

I wish I lived next to you G_M, I'd be winding you up often in order to ensure a good supply of tea and cake coming my way :D
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    If your neighbours were to cut back plants planted on your side but hanging over the boundary, they are supposed to offer you the cuttings back first. So going by that, there shouldn't be an issue with you cutting flowers hanging on their side.

That part of it sounds like tradition or just something that happens, surely who ever owns the space that they are growing in, its theirs ;)
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 July 2017 at 11:29AM
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts