What to buy in the US

Options

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Chrystal lights ( I drink it all the time)

hearo ear plugs 33db ones

american breakfast cereal

You did ask!

I always get all 3 as they are all much more expensive in the UK
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    iltisman wrote: »
    Petrol is cheap

nearly $3 a gallon a couple of weeks ago (american gallon is smaller)
    depending on type of car, if you have an american gas guzzler it would be a similar cost per mile.

we had a Fusion Hybrid (mondeo) very comfortabe and averaged nearly 40 to the gallon so it was very cheap to run
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    My uk car does 12 to the gallon so pretty much anything we drive in the us will be cheaper!
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    I always seemed to end up at Toys-r-us as Lego sets were quite a bit cheaper.

They also get all the craze toys and collectibles before us. Past years I have bought back Disney Cars collectibles, models you couldn't get here, Trashies, stuff like that.

More recently, couple of years ago I bought back a few elf on a shelf toys I got from Walmart for under $10 that were in short supply here and being sold at a massive premium.

Its knowing what is trending, fortunately my kids are too old for that stuff now.

Interesting people mention medicines. I am off to Greece in the summer, there are two medications I need daily that are generic so cost pennies. But the government only allows my doctor to prescribe 56 days at a time and you just can't buy it over the counter. So I am paying 5 times the actual cost of the medicine. The annual ticket would still barely break even.

Greek pharmacists are happy to sell me a years worth without prescription for little more than the cost of a single NHS prescription of which I would need 6.5 here to cover a year.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • notanewuser
    Options
    My DD is saving all of her pocket money ready to splurge on tat at Toys R Us.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Clinique cosmetics are cheap in the USA, especially if bought at an airport, so tax free.

When the exchange rate was better they worked out cheaper than Number 7. Luckily I have a stock of moisturiser.

We last went in January, I bought very little. A sweater from Gap because I liked it, not for price.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • *~Zephyr~*
    *~Zephyr~* Posts: 612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Remember that you are only allowed to bring back £390 worth of stuff from the USA. Anything over that will incur duty charges.

Unless you are just planning on waltzing through "Nothing to Declare" and hoping not to get caught, that is :)
  • notanewuser
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Clinique cosmetics are cheap in the USA, especially if bought at an airport, so tax free.

When the exchange rate was better they worked out cheaper than Number 7. Luckily I have a stock of moisturiser.

We last went in January, I bought very little. A sweater from Gap because I liked it, not for price.

I do use Clinique, so thank you for that tip. :)
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Glad to hear it. We're doing a 2000+ mile road trip around Colorado!
    You won't be disappointed.

Pagosa Springs and a bit of heated bathing next to the San Juan River was a pretty unexpected joy last year.
  • notanewuser
    Options
    *~Zephyr~* wrote: »
    Remember that you are only allowed to bring back £390 worth of stuff from the USA. Anything over that will incur duty charges.

Unless you are just planning on waltzing through "Nothing to Declare" and hoping not to get caught, that is :)

At present I'm not planning on bringing anything back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport