quote for removal of asbestos insulation from loft

We have just bought a house, and intend to convert the loft into a bedroom. There is white asbestos insulation in the loft, and we have had one quote to remove this, of c£15k plus VAT, so around £18k. As it is asbestos , and quite loose, the danger is that the fibres could be anywhere in the loft, so the whole loft needs to be cleaned. The company will sheet off the loft, clean the rafters, dispose of the contaminated material, paint the wood in the loft with special paint that minimises the risk of asbestos fibres sticking to the wood and then check everything is clean before i start work on the conversion They estimate that the work will take 2-3 weeks. The loft is around 30 foot long and 15 foot wide. Has anyone any idea if this is a reasonable price?

Comments

• wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    We have just bought a house,

and
    white asbestos insulation in the loft,

So you got £18000 knocked off the price of the house??

You have had the white material tested by an independent firm and it is asbestos AND ( i repeat) AND its dangerous ?

You have had a least three quotes?
  • dharm999
    dharm999 Posts: 559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    wallbash wrote: »
    and

So you got £18000 knocked off the price of the house?? Yes

You have had the white material tested by an independent firm and it is asbestos AND ( i repeat) AND its dangerous ? Yes

You have had a least three quotes?
    Have had one quote so far, have been in contact with three other firms, who have so far, not shown any interest in coming around to have a look and then give me a price
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    £18 + Vat and you can send off a sample to have it tested. The company will send you some gloves/face mask.

http://www.passukltd.co.uk/
  • dharm999
    dharm999 Posts: 559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    £18 + Vat and you can send off a sample to have it tested. The company will send you some gloves/face mask.

http://www.passukltd.co.uk/

Have already had samples tested, which have confirmed that it is asbestos insulation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure