Netgear wireless router as access point help

Options
Horlock
Horlock Posts: 1,027 Forumite
edited 8 December 2016 at 1:57PM in Techie Stuff
OK so I'm trying to set up my Netgear N600 router as a wireless access point.

I've followed the steps from http://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-setup?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

and it works - sort of.

After following the steps I appear to have a wired access point not a wireless access point.

Ie I am writing this message on a laptop connected to my N600 brand new access point, which is wired to my original router.

However, if I disconnect the wire between the access point and the router, I lose internet. Given that I could just as easily have run the wire to the router in the first place this seems somewhat useless. I want to be able to unplug and use the access point in another room! What am I missing? I'm obviously being stupid.
There is no intelligent life out there ... ask any goldfish!

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,082 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds like you want a wireless extender i.e. take a (weak) wireless signal and provide a stronger signal in a remote location.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/WN3000RP.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic
  • Horlock
    edited 8 December 2016 at 2:08PM
    Options
    Thanks for getting back. I don't think I want an extender - but perhaps I do. I want a wireless connection from my router to the N600 and a wired connection from the N600 to my computer.

The more I read the more convinced I am that I don't want a wireless access point. But I don't know what I do want in order to google how to set it up.

I'm sure the router should be able to handle what I want it to do - it is just the question of how? And how to phrase the question to get me started.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 December 2016 at 2:24PM
    Options
    Look for some instructions on how to set it up in client mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS1px4a-xbQ
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Wireless bridge? Is that what you're trying to achieve?

(That link was just the first relevant one that came up - others may exist for your equipment models).
  • Horlock
    Options
    Thanks both. That is precisely what I want and explains my confusion, I was setting up and access point when in fact I want a bridge.

Now I just need to work out how I can set the router up as a bridge!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure