IPhone 4- No longer able to get IPlayer radio

Options
we have an IPhone 4 and for as long as we have purchased this phone we have been able to receive radio stations using the IPlayer radio app. Suddenly this has stopped for no reason. Is there another app we can use or have apple stopped allowing radio programmes to be received and heard live on IPhone 4.

Comments

• misiek404
    misiek404 Posts: 124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What IOS version do you have? 7.1 is the minimum
    https://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/radio/iOS_iPlayer_radio_app_req

The alternative is to use radio via phone's browser atbbc.co.uk/radio
  • BrianWilliams
    Options
    I believe that apple have stopped supporting IPlayer Radio App on the IPhone 4, which was very useful for downloading radio programmes to listen to at a later time. I don't know or any alternative that can be used on Iphone 4. My elderly mother has an IPhone 4 which she used for this purpose and I have not been able to resolve this issue for her. Any suggestions please. I guess apple have taken this action hoping she will buy a later version of an Iphone which she cannot afford.!!
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

still working for me on iphone 4s.
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    misiek404 wrote: »
    What IOS version do you have? 7.1 is the minimum
    https://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/radio/iOS_iPlayer_radio_app_req

The alternative is to use radio via phone's browser atbbc.co.uk/radio

At the moment, yes. But the BBC are killing off support for iOS7 and iOS 8 soon as well.

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/radio/v1_closure
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This reminds me of when the BBC chose to obsolete my iPod Touch that was only about 18 months old at the time, by not supporting its last OS version. You could call the the BBC the gadget-makers (or Mr Landfill's) friend as it drives perfectly serviceable hardware rapidly to obsolescence.

For comparison, what's the oldest Android version that supports BBC iPlayer?
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    Options
    At the moment, yes. But the BBC are killing off support for iOS7 and iOS 8 soon as well.

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/radio/v1_closure

That doesn't stop you using Safari and going to the web page.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Big_Graeme wrote: »
    That doesn't stop you using Safari and going to the web page.
    To download programmes for on the go listening? Really? That's the main point of the existence of the radio iPlayer phone app for me. Funny though how phone web browsers can support access of some sort while the app gets pulled.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I believe that apple have stopped supporting IPlayer Radio App on the IPhone 4, which was very useful for downloading radio programmes to listen to at a later time. I don't know or any alternative that can be used on Iphone 4. My elderly mother has an IPhone 4 which she used for this purpose and I have not been able to resolve this issue for her. Any suggestions please. I guess apple have taken this action hoping she will buy a later version of an Iphone which she cannot afford.!!

It's not Apple's decision to pull the app-it's the BBC. As iPhone 4 is now six years old and the last version of iOS available is 7.1.2 many more app developers will start to drop updates.

I've had a browse through the App Store and I can't find an equivalent app that'll allow you to download radio programmes to listen to at a later date-not unless you're connected to WiFi which is of no use. There are usually third party offerings unless they've been pulled for copyright reasons.

Looking at iPlayer's FAQs it appears any phone/tablet running Jelly Bean 4.1 (or later) supports iPlayer Radio for downloading for listening later.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure