Luxury Vinyl Tiles 35m2- (tiles provided): £20 per m2?

Options
Hi All,

I haven't got a detailed quote yet, but thought maybe you can help me out. This is in Bedfordshire.

I have 35m2 of polyflor tiles that need to be laid (I already have the tiles). There is a living room, dining room, hallway and an ensuite bathroom all totalling 35 m2. The first three are contiguous, on the ground floor and on concrete (house was built in 2002) and are approx. 27m2 and the bathroom is 8m2 with chipboard under the carpet.

I've been quoted £765 for the following:

Moving furniture outside (just out of the patio doors)
stripping off carpets
slicing them so we can take to tip
screeing (+materials)
Glue (I don't have that one)
Laying

So works out approx £20 m2 which seems expensive but I don't know what the prices I've seen online include (I think they are only for the laying, etc)...
Unfortunately I haven't managed to get anyone else locally to answer my messages about the job... Maybe too small? Maybe they don't like that I supply the materials?

Thanks!!

Comments

• krey
    krey Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    First there's nothing luxury about vinyl tiles, and 2nd just do it yourself.. that's a daylight robbery!
  • Cuidadosa
    Cuidadosa Posts: 131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Krey,

Our neighbours have got these same tiles and they look very nice, that's why we opted for them.
    Unfortunately I'm pregnant with twins so I don't think I've got the energy/physique to tackle such an endeavour as fitting all of this... Never done it before and if I botch it then it will look awful...
    I tried posting the job in Mybuilder.com and nobody answered it! So I Googled local floor fitters and this was the one who answered... :(
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    Options
    £20 a sqm is cheap, I'd usually charge around £45, more if borders etc are being used
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • krey
    krey Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    Yes indeed than just leave it for someone else :)
    However they are no harder to do than a laminate flooring,maybe even easier... but £45sqm? Sir,are you mental?
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    £45psqm! having a laugh.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    Options
    Another DIY monkey

Good screed from F.ball, easily £35 per bag , average cover 3sqm

Not all of us do slap dash jobs that'll look fine when laid only for the edges to peel and screw holes show after a few months as minimal prep work was carried out
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    krey wrote: »
    Yes indeed than just leave it for someone else :)
    However they are no harder to do than a laminate flooring,maybe even easier... but £45sqm? Sir,are you mental?

maybe if laying as a floating floor using click based product.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure