Energy Provider Help - First Time Buyer

Options
Frances109
Frances109 Posts: 35 Forumite
Hi,

I am currently in the process of buying a house and from where it is a repossession we have no way of finding out who the previous providers were.

Who do we need to go to, to find out who the electric, gas and water is with? Does anyone know whether I need to stick with the old provider or what happens if there is an outstanding bill - sorry I'm a complete newbie and freaking myself out a bit!
First time buyer!

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Outstanding bill? First job is note the meter readings the moment you buy / see the house. Take a photo as well, just in case

You then have a start point

Water supply is non negotiable, you only have Hobson's choice of local supplier, it will be same as all the neighbours

You do not have to stick with same provider, but it may be convenient until you settle in
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Frances109
    Options
    With the water supply do I just need to inform them that we have moved in and to get it reconnected? - Everything has been cut off!
    First time buyer!
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 June 2017 at 3:39PM
    Options
    Frances109 wrote: »
    With the water supply do I just need to inform them that we have moved in and to get it reconnected? - Everything has been cut off!

You need to contact all the utility providers.
    I very much doubt any service has been cut off, but simply isolated.
    Your survey should have identified the exact position.

If you don't know what you are doing, instruct a professional to turn on each supply. It's been isolated for a reason ;)

Speak to the estate agents who will assist you in buying your first home, and also to your solicitor who you will be paying a small fortune to, so get your money's worth :)

BTW, you shouldn't be doing anything with the utilities until you complete...and you you haven't even exchanged yet
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72665231&postcount=9193
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72685953&postcount=9235

you have no rights over the property at all. It could all still fall through. Ever heard of people being gazumped??
  • Frances109
    Options
    Yes we are well aware of gazumping but I would much rather be over prepared and ready than under prepared!

We will be instructing professionals to turn everything back on as the systems in the property have been completely drained for a good few months.
    First time buyer!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why pay someone to turn the supplies on again? You simply need to move the switch or lever accordingly for each service-a few seconds work.
    Then record meter readings and register for each supply with the provider.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,606 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Why pay someone to turn the supplies on again? You simply need to move the switch or lever accordingly for each service-a few seconds work.
    Then record meter readings and register for each supply with the provider.
    It's not that simple though is it? Especially with gas.
    You need a Gas Safe registered engineer to turn the gas on, check for leaks and purge air from the system. Very simple job for them to do with the right equipment, but not a DIY job.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 June 2017 at 7:58AM
    Options
    It's important you establish who the Gas & Elec suppliers are and it's unlikely the EA will not know.

Google "Who supplies my Gas & Electricity" - This will give you the phone numbers for National Data Base for gas meters and the Regional one for the Electric meter, who can tell you who the suppliers are to this address - Be aware these are Premium Rate calls

On the day the purchase money changes hands via the solicitors, phone the Gas & Elec suppliers to report your ownership and give them the meter readings.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    It's not that simple though is it? Especially with gas.
    You need a Gas Safe registered engineer to turn the gas on, check for leaks and purge air from the system. Very simple job for them to do with the right equipment, but not a DIY job.

It's simply the case of moving the lever to the up position surely not. I've only known council houses/HA to actually block off the supply with a spanner until a new tenant moves in.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 13 June 2017 at 3:17PM
    Options
    It's simply the case of moving the lever to the up position surely not. I've only known council houses/HA to actually block off the supply with a spanner until a new tenant moves in.

Because it was a repossesion who knows waht the ex owner did? Maybe ripped out the underfloor piping for instance?

I would follow Victor 2 advice and get a Gas Safe person to turn on the gas & check for you
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,606 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When our gas meter was replaced, thereby introducing air into the pipework, the engineer demonstrated to me the effect of air in the pipes. He lit a ring on the hob. It burnt for about 10 seconds then went out as the air came through. It would not light again until the air had passed through and gas started flowing again, which was about 15 seconds.
    So, quite possible that someone could light the hob under a saucepan and leave it while it "heated up". You can bet they'd instinctively relight it when they realised the flame had gone out - igniting however much gas had come through.

Of course in that case, the air getting into the pipe was caused by the meter being removed, but in a newly possessed house, you have no idea how or why the gas was turned off.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure