Ebay offer - cheeky!

Options
I currently have an item on ebay with a realistic starting price of just over £7 the same item has sold in recent weeks for well over £10. Someone has just asked if I will sell for £4 plus postage.

I already know my answer as its not worth the hassle to sell on there for £4 by the time ebay/paypal have taken their cut. My dilemma is do I ignore the question or reply - do I also block the buyer as being a tad suspicious it would be awful if they bought it and it went missing in the post.

Comments

• mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just because they made a low offer, does not mean they need blocking. You can set it so offers below a certain amount are rejected. Personally for a £7 item, £4 seems an okay offer. You do not have to accept it. They may not realise other items have sold for £10.

It seems a waste of time asking for offers if you are going to ignore people who make an offer you do not agree with. Everyone's costs are different so its impossible to know if a seller is making a profit from a £4 sale.
  • BargainJunky
    BargainJunky Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry my first post was a bit vague I did not ask for offers. I am happy to sell at the starting price which I think is fair as it then gives my son some money to put towards something else (its his toy that I am selling).
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry my first post was a bit vague I did not ask for offers. I am happy to sell at the starting price which I think is fair as it then gives my son some money to put towards something else (its his toy that I am selling).

In that case I would either tell them you are not doing buy it now or ask for a price you'd be happy with. You could always add on a little extra to send it tracked if you are suspicious of the buyer.

I do know what you mean though. I am wary of people who offer very low offers on auction items. You could always check the feedback they have left for others. It may show if they are a difficult buyer or not.
  • fishpond
    fishpond Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just reply, no offers accepted.
    I am a LandLord,(under review) so there!:p
  • rfowler
    rfowler Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    or reply back with a suitable amount you are happy to accept
  • Pierre_De_Grenoble
    Options
    Myself I don't do "make an offer" so when I get insulting offers I simply block them, do not respond to them and move on.
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Myself I don't do "make an offer" so when I get insulting offers I simply block them, do not respond to them and move on.

This is exactly what I do. It's just not worth getting into a debate over with them.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Not everyone is an evil monster.

I work with a lad who is extremely cheeky & he would think nothing of this. There was some furniture up for £300, he offered them £140 & he'll collect. His motto is you don't get if you don't ask. The listing ended, it didn't sell, it got relisted & to cut the story short he got it for £180 with another cheeky private message offer.

He said to me at work - if you give someone £50 & then a week later they give you £60 is that a fair return? I said yeah i guess.
    Can i have £50 then he said?
    He was dead serious.

Some people are just chancers. Doesn't make them bad. At the end of the day the way they see it is the worst thing you can do is say no.
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    I agree, and this kind of blocking users is pointless, they'll just get husband or wife to bid.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Auction or BIN price? If its an auction, just say your away from home so will be letting the auction run until you get back the same day it finishes.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure