kitchen quotes & joiners

Options
Hello,
What a HEADACHE this is turning to be.
Just buying a house and we need a new kitchen fitted. We've seen an offer from Wren so rang them for a quote. The designer came out, measured the kitchen and we went to their showroom for a 3D design.
The quote is not bad at all: 4K with splash back but without the appliances. We like the kitchen but we're being put off by the bad reviews regarding this company.

Not sure what other suppliers should we try though: B&Q, Howdens, Magnet, Wickes, Ikea... or go for some local ones? Or try to get quotes from all of them and put them against each other ?!

Then the difficult job to find a good kitchen joiner in Cardiff, based on reviews...

Many thanks for your valuable advice

Comments

• wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    have you looked at diy-kitchens.com ?
  • cddc
    cddc Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stay clear of Wren, if possible. They do have happy customers and are not all bad, but equally they have more horror stories than anyone else. All companies get things wrong sometimes, Wren are the the worst at putting them right when they do go wrong, hence the plethora of shocking reviews.

Most of the others are perfectly fine. If using a DIY sheds fitting service, ask for their best fitter, rather than the one on the shortest lead time. You may have to wait longer, but it will be worth it. The fitters are all subbies and vary in quality. Good fitting is as important, if not more so than the quality of the kitchen itself.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you don't want to do the installation yourself then local independent kitchen companies will all be able to organise an installation if you order through them, as will Magnet & Southern (a colleague is getting a kitchen from them but also talked with a number of small companies around Bristol, all of whom offered installation, before setting on Magnet). No idea about what the DIY sheds can and can't do though.

I did my kitchen installation myself, saved me a ton. As long as you are patient and methodical it's not terribly difficult, although a second pair of hands is needed occasionally.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • kokolino23
    kokolino23 Posts: 267 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wymondham wrote: »
    have you looked at diy-kitchens.com ?

I've looked at this one but is different when you see exactly what are you going to buy. Even though I must admit the cost difference.
    I've never thought could be such a headache.
  • Halle71
    Halle71 Posts: 514 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had a plan done at Howdens the sent it to DIY Kitchens who matched it and saved us £2k :-)
  • kokolino23
    Options
    Halle71 wrote: »
    We had a plan done at Howdens the sent it to DIY Kitchens who matched it and saved us £2k :-)

Can I ask how did you manage to get the plan from Howdens, please? Wren didn't give anything away...
    Cheers
  • wymondham
    Options
    kokolino23 wrote: »
    I've looked at this one but is different when you see exactly what are you going to buy. Even though I must admit the cost difference.
    I've never thought could be such a headache.

it is initially confusing, but keep with it as their units are very high quality and you can seriously save. We were quote £12k for a kitchen by a local company. I've just done it myself using DIY-kitchens and done much more for £6k.
  • kokolino23
    Options
    wymondham wrote: »
    it is initially confusing, but keep with it as their units are very high quality and you can seriously save. We were quote £12k for a kitchen by a local company. I've just done it myself using DIY-kitchens and done much more for £6k.

Did they give you a kitchen plan along with the measurements for the units? Where did you find a good kitchen fitter? Can they cut and finish the worktops if I'll buy them from somewhere else?
    Thanks
  • kokolino23
    Options
    I've got the measurements for the kitchen but how would I know what units should I buy so they can fit perfectly?
    If I buy the worktop from somewhere else, surely needs to be finished off by the fitter. If I'm going to fit it myself, how on earth can I do that ?!
    I'm an engineer myself and quite practical but I've never fitted a kitchen...
  • wymondham
    Options
    If you've got the measurements then it really is not too hard to do yourself, especially as you are practically minded anyway? if you take your time its not as bad as you think!!

Depending on the type of worktop you want, you can also get this all cut to size along with any cutouts and delivered to you - I used worktop-express.co.uk for my wooden worktops, all precut/oiled and ready to fit!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure