Help! ebay 1st sale

Options
Hi

I just made my first sale. Do I need to anything? awaiting payment, there is a send invoice button.. do I need to do this to progress things?

Thanks
European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.

Comments

• mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can send an invoice, but they should have already received notification of how much. Just wait for payment. You need to send it to the address given when they pay. You also should think about sending it tracked. Just remember you are responsible for the item until the buyer receives it and is happy with it. Should it get lost or damaged during transit, you'd most likely have to refund. Therefore you should bear this in mind when sending it.
  • kokolino23
    Options
    Fleabay will send you an invoice, don't worry. They will also take the payment from your account, assuming you've got one linked on fleabay.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    You can send an invoice, but they should have already received notification of how much. Just wait for payment. You need to send it to the address given when they pay. You also should think about sending it tracked. Just remember you are responsible for the item until the buyer receives it and is happy with it. Should it get lost or damaged during transit, you'd most likely have to refund. Therefore you should bear this in mind when sending it.

Many thanks! when you say 'tracked', my item is letter sized - is Royal Mail signed for adequate to protect me with Ebay?

Thanks again, its quite exciting your first time!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,285 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kokolino23 wrote: »
    Fleabay will send you an invoice, don't worry. They will also take the payment from your account, assuming you've got one linked on fleabay.

OP is the seller so won't be receiving an invoice. Also, what do you mean about eBay taking payment from your account? Buyers have to actively pay, but there is a handy 'pay now' button on the invoice.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,285 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sillygoose wrote: »
    Many thanks! when you say 'tracked', my item is letter sized - is Royal Mail signed for adequate to protect me with Ebay?

Thanks again, its quite exciting your first time!

Have a read of the sticky postage thread , personally I don't use signed for unless the value of the item requires it, but it is all explained in that thread.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sillygoose
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Have a read of the sticky postage thread , personally I don't use signed for unless the value of the item requires it, but it is all explained in that thread.

Thanks, that was a useful read, especially the paypal validation information as they have paid now. Off to the post office tomorrow.

Cheers.

Now to get some more stuff online!
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,796 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe read ebay's help pages for new sellers? There is masses of info - some of it is even quite helpful!
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Ineedaservant
    Options
    To invoice or not to invoice? I always look at the buyers 'star' rating. If lower than 20 I invoice, if higher I don't bother as they should have got the hang of buying by then.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sillygoose wrote: »
    Thanks, that was a useful read, especially the paypal validation information as they have paid now. Off to the post office tomorrow.

Cheers.

Now to get some more stuff online!

Glad you found it helpful ;)

If you are happy to send it with a proof of postage (pop), that will cover you for £20 if you are sending standard RM 1st or 2nd class. Keep hold of the pop for 6 months.

Well done on your first sale.
  • sillygoose
    Options
    Glad you found it helpful ;)

If you are happy to send it with a proof of postage (pop), that will cover you for £20 if you are sending standard RM 1st or 2nd class. Keep hold of the pop for 6 months.

Well done on your first sale.

Thank you. I used to sell some stuff many, many years ago. Not going into business but Ebay is still the best way to get rid of some more unusual things that are hard to value.

I have for example some fairly big pieces of luxury jacquard material that I might try to list but its heavy to ship and hard to value.

I posted recorded for my piece of mind so I know it gets there.

I don't know how anyone makes any real money by the time Ebay and Paypal take 13%!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure