PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 9th October 2017

Options

Comments

• Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 October 2017 at 4:39PM
    Options
    o/very efficient errand running done - chazzer *fling* - and big stuff that was cluttering me up; bank to pay in more PTA cheques. (After ransacking hovel for 'missing' paying in book), plumbers to pay deposit (cheque) and Morries for fuel. All worked out for best route, too. The lack of enthusiasm I have to 'do' comes from my bereavement; I feel the worst has happened; nothing anyone can throw at me will ever be worse than this (in my mind). But I am beginning to feel dragged down by the mess; it's a vicious cycle. So any achievement feels big! The fling was a couple of huge glass jars for candles in the garden, given to mum, she didn't want them so they've been cluttering up here for weeks, and a laundry/washing basket DS brought back from Uni that won't fit anywhere in a 'put it away' stylee so it's gone!
    Home, transferred money into current account for plumber's cheque (method in my madness - having written the cheque I cannot let it bounce;)) and email checked. Online DBS application/check spotted and completed *glow*. It was only in my inbox for 2 hours. Other people end up having it all resent because they don't get it done/spot it/ ever read their email :rotfl:

I am sick to the back teeth of all these 'ladies' offering me 'fun' via email because they think I am male because my forename is a masculine name in other countries.

Not my stuff that hit the fan; I am benefitting because I get to take over...I have been planning this for weeks and weeks - it has now been realised I can do admin so flexible arrangements have been made.

I *almost* have the enthusiasm to clean the dining room AKA DUMP - after my :coffee: - help yourselves:coffee::coffee::coffee:

Oh I emptied the maiden too.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    After my slow start this morning I have redeamed myself by painting Duncans room. We need to put up the new blind (BF doing later), and the cladding needs staining, but we are almost there.
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Lovely to see you back Raphael! Exciting, buying a house; absolutely right to get on top of the Flying and unpacking before it descends into the chaotic muddle most of us live in before we join the thread. I love your idea of painting the lampshade - I searched for months before I could find the lampshades I wanted, and eventually did at Trago Liskeard, but on reflection it would have saved a lot of time and money if I'd just painted the horrible coloured old ones.

I wanted something that looked exactly the same, but a different colour. It's an uplighter type, so upside down to how a table lamp would point, but there is no hole in the point so you can't see the bulb.
    I couldn't even see the right shape shade online, let alone the colour. It's worked really nicely. I just used a clean washing up sponge and dabbed on the paint.

Befores & after:
    lamp_zpsyla960fk.jpg

Elderly relative fell at the weekend. She has 4 grown up children, who all live near to her, yet one of them has suggested it's appropriate for her to come and stay with me for a few weeks :cool: She's 80 years old, can't wash/feed herself etc (broken arm) - but somehow it's appropriate for her to stay with me who a) has two young kids who are boisterous b) has 2 part-time jobs and c) is hardly ever at home. What the actual hell?! Why can't she stay with them?! Rant over. I would do anything to help but that seriously would be too much. It also wouldn't be fair on her.

My granny had 4 daughters, when she was getting to the end and needed daily help, it fell to my auntie who was also a full time nurse to care for her.
    My mum & one sister lived in other cities so were unavailable. The final sister had no job or commitments. The nurse asked her to help out, as she was getting exhaused (mentally too as granny had dementia). Sister agreed, as long as she was paid for it!! Ridiculous, she wanted a wage from looking after her own mum!

Magical Monday - Barnacled Bathroom and Sociable Study/Pc Area
    Level Two...
    Clean toilets
    Level Three...
    Clean shower screen/curtain if you have one/if required
    Clean/wash the brushes/dust box/filters on the vacuum cleaner!!!! .. make sure they are completely dry before using it though.. I don’t want anyone electrocuted!!
    Extras:
    • Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
    • Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains etc
    • Clean the radiators in these room
    Tantalising Tuesday ~ Masterful Master Bedroom & Loopy Landing
    Level Two...
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
    Level Three...
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    [STRIKE]Sort one area of clothes or linen storage making sure only what should be in there is, anything that's had it's day or doesn't belong there is removed[/STRIKE]
    Clear a hotspot., or spend 15 minutes clearing one.
    Extras..
    • 27 fling boogie time, time for that midweek fling, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
    • [STRIKE]Put away those summer clothes from someones cupboard and get out the winter woollies.. don’t store anything that is past its best! Make a list of things you need to buy!![/STRIKE]
    • Clean windows in these rooms
    Other bits
    Organise stuff to sell
    Tidy books
    [STRIKE]Paint Duncans room[/STRIKE] Done!
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    Any piece of tech that started telling me I ought to move my butt would very swiftly find itself being given a free flying lesson - and not the sort of Flying we do here, either! :rotfl:
    It's "horses for courses" I think; Mr LW was 53 and I was 43 when we got married. :o

Ah, that's my problem - I was taught at a very early age that anything less than perfect was Not Good Enough (got told off on one glorious occasion for *only* getting 98% in a maths exam) so when I fall short of perfect I get depressed and feel I want to stop bothering at all.

I'm pleased that Kelpie is feeling better, btw. :o

ETA: ATB just seen your post - you must've posted while I was typing. My reaction - Ridiculous and totally impractical. Plus, who on earth do they think they are, trying to dictate who you invite into your home to stay??

Ooh, snap. The teacher took the time to write a letter home to say how pleased he was that I had got 98.6% in the exam. Considering Maths (other than PE) was the subject I had always found hardest, the angry 'Your teacher wrote a letter to me - tell him not to bother unless you get 100%' and the letter tossed in the direction of the kitchen bin, was less than appreciated.

Needless to say, were She to require nursing, there isn't enough money in the world that could entice me to do it, whether my home, her midden or a tent on the central reservation of the M5.

Came in to find (this seems to be a recurring theme - what will I walk into this time?) Himself was in the process of transferring yet another set of shelves up into the spare room. At least these now free off some space in the kitchen to pull the table out further. Pity about the foot high heap of gibble he's dumped on it again - he moans about how the cats have to stand/sit on any clear surface the moment it's done, but ignores the fact that this only happens if he hasn't hefted crap onto it first. And at least when the cats do it, you only have to give it a quick wipe before using, rather than a 45 minute sort, put away, clean and then wipe, only to turn your back for a second and there's more crap been heaped up.

After a couple of days of feeling less grumpy, I'm feeling the huffs coming back. This may be an AF approaching thing, or it may be because I've worked out the average calories consumed in a day at present is nowhere near enough - about 850kcal. No wonder I've been eating my packed lunch (of about 250 calories, apparently) before 11am most days and I'm starving with at least an hour to go before finishing work.

I think I need to put an online order in. He's not great with meal planning - and forgets to add veggies.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    At the ripe old age of 85 someone I knew got married for the first time. What do you think happens to us when we get past whatever age is the cut off point, Piggers?!!!!

My great-grandad got married for the 4th time at 84 (in 1983). Purely because he didn't want to live with someone while unmarried because it was not the done thing in his day and age and while society didn't mind it was just the proper way. OHs family are all horrified we aren't married.. and having children out of wedlock is pretty much the biggest sin known to man!

There isn't a 'cut-off' it just feels wrong for me.. I'm delighted for everyone else who finds happiness.. maybe I'm just jealous too lol

Done nothing today.. my neck and shoulders are agony.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    my dining room is clean - for once. That was the worst room.
    My steam cleaner has been delivered...from the Vax sale - with attachments. I'm excited:rotfl:
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Narc0lepsy
    Narc0lepsy Posts: 2,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ATB .how ridiculous
    Had a good w/e at my mum's, BIL's funeral went as well as can be expected.
    But sitting here numb as friend's husband just rang; pathology results have arrived and she has 18months. Beyond devastated.
    Sorry not much flying in this post. Still unpacking my bag from the weekend. Put a load of washing on this morning, does that count? Went to uni.
    Sorry haven't caught up with thread.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    Options
    Stand up for yourself atb, you don't have room in your life for caring for an elderly relative. Why you anyways ??!!

Valli I have never suffered a bereavement like yours but I had this feeling when DS was diagnosed that if one really terrible thing could happen in my life then what else could be around the corner? It sort of felt that everything safe and solid wasn't what it seemed and my whole world had shifted out of line somehow. I felt all adrift for a long time.

Good day here, both paid stuff, gym class, everyone fed. Bedroom tidied and dusted. Need some food shopping tomorrow. DS is eating a huge amount at the moment which is great, he might even manage to put a little weight on.

Night all x
  • Narc0lepsy
    Narc0lepsy Posts: 2,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Valli wrote: »
    I am sick to the back teeth of all these 'ladies' offering me 'fun' via email because they think I am male because my forename is a masculine name in other countries.

I get a lot of companies filling in my web site contact form saying how many more clients they could get for me by proper advertising across the world. Er, I diagnose dyslexia, you aren't going to encourage people by putting a jolly advert in "Oh look what an enticing advert, I think I'll go and see if I'm dyslexic.....no matter that I live in Timbuctoo and the assessor is in Herts". I did once email back and say have they actually read what service I offer, and do they really think that targeted advertising will bring me £££?
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
  • Mademoiselle
    Options
    Just enjoyed the pleasure of coming back in late to a tidy house, well living room, bedroom & kitchen. Able to make a cuppa and sit down peacefully.

Today I have done the ironing and put everything away, cleared round living room, bedroom and kitchen and got rid of and/or put away a few more bits in the bathroom. Beginning to think that bathroom might cleared by the end of the week if I carry on bit by bit, in which case might get it cleaned on Friday as I'm not working. Long day tomorrow and Thursday so plan is just to keep good areas good and out or throw at least one thing away in the bathroom.

Progress is progress even if it is tiny bit by tiny bit.

Sorry to hear so many of you are struggling
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Evening everyone

Sending hugs to all, especially Valli and Narco

Dailies done
    Spanish lessons done
    All bulk cooking done and dusted except for chilli, as I only have one s c and it's full of bolognese atm. Mince, onions and peppers all cooked and in fridge ready for s c tomorrow evening.

Now desperately need to sort both freezers as they are both a bit chaotic. It's a combination of Mr T delivery today and all the frozen meals I've made. Will have to get a round tuit later in week.

I have my ECG tomorrow afternoon. Not really looking forward to it to be honest but needs must eh.

Magical Monday - Barnacled Bathroom and Sociable Study/Pc Area
    Clean floors in these rooms (even if it is around the clutter)
    Clean baths, toilets and sinks
    Wipe down tiles in bathroom
    Extras:
    Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms

Tantalising Tuesday ~ Masterful Master Bedroom
    Vacuum floors in bedroom

Wishful Wednesday ~ spare room
    Vacuum the floor, even if it's just where you can see
    Extra
    30 minutes ironing

Spoons and sticks for anyone needing some
    Hope you all have a super 'hump-day'