Additional cardholder - any risk of impact on credit score?

Options
Hi,

I've seen a previous answer to this question which was answered "no" but have also seen some conflicting information saying it could do.

Anyway, long story short I want to add my partner as an additional cardholder on my 2 credit cards.

However she had some arrears on a student overdraft, the last of which was November 2012. I can see them on her credit report on Noddle still. The bank account was settled in December 2012 and closed down a few years after having laid dormant with a zero balance (she kept it open as there was free mobile phone insurance at the time).

So it's pretty much 5 years ago and I know it's very minimal risk. But am I taking any risk adding her? I don't want to dent my rating in case we need it in the future for remortgaging or any other reason.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    The traditional answer is no. But some posters have reported associations apparently being created by additional cardholders.

If so, this would link your files. Any change in a CRA scoring system is neither here nor there. Lenders would choose to take the association into account or not, and view it accordingly.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Options
    It makes sense to me that, although you are ultimately responsible for any debt incurred, letting someone else use your credit card is creating a financial association.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    If for any reason your card is blocked then it is highly likely that her associated card will be blocked.
    If she has a card in her own name then you have plan B?
  • Goldust
    Goldust Posts: 526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If for any reason your card is blocked then it is highly likely that her associated card will be blocked.
    If she has a card in her own name then you have plan B?

This seems sensible.. it would also help to improve her credit score if she had her own card. She might also feel a bit more accountable for not buying useless stuff on my card as she's terrible at budgeting also :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure