Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Major UK Charity using Withheld/Unknown Telephone Numbers

Earlier this week, I booked online a collection of unwanted goods by a major UK charity. Today, their local shop called me back using an Unknown number which my phone automatically diverted to an answerphone that I check about once a week. I just wonder why major charities need to use Unknown telephone numbers when the use of such tactics is favoured by telemarketers, scammers etc? The irony is that the message left asked me to call them back to confirm the collection date and they left me the number.

A lot of people I know will not answer calls from Unknown/Withheld numbers so charities may well be losing out on possible donations.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It may not be as sinister as you think: if there are several people making calls out from one number their way of doing things may avoid the missed call chaos of "You phoned me but I missed the call". We get it fairly regularly at work: I didn't phone them, but I have to try and work out who did ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • oldtoolie
    oldtoolie Posts: 750 Forumite
    Maybe they are using a VOIP service like SKYPE to save money.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    All fair points. I have e-mailed the Charity expressing my concerns about the use of Unknown numbers given the level of nuisance calls that are around today. I will let you know what they say.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The building society that I'm getting a mortgage from displays unknown number too. Twice they've called my mobile like this. Yet I'd like to block unknown callers to my mobile due to endless PPI scam type calls.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you dial from a switchboard extension then the number frequently appears as withheld.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure