not happy with sse/equipower changes

Options

Comments

• pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    Options
    cyka wrote: »
    It wasn't cheaper for me on pre-pay, infact the sse legacy tarriff was lower than the original ebico tariff I had and nothing on the market came close it including non pp meters.

Pulled after 4.5 months.

I'll probably have to change my meter and go back to ebico zero.

Perhaps you should have seen the writing on the wall at that point ;)

SSE were caught with their pants down.
    Despite assuring customers they would continue with Equipower & equigas tariffs, they were not able to for PPM customers due to the price caps that were introduced.

So they had to lower the unit prices significantly.

BUT ... they had not acted in good time to change the terms to impose a standing charge, so didn't.
    (Notice is required if they make changes to a tariff that could adversely affect customers)

That meant the tariff for PPM customers (particularly gas) was unbelievably low - so low it was financially unviable.

SSE have now caught up, and notified action to put them back onto a financially viable footing.
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    Options
    Hmmm... what happened to your post cyka ??? :huh:

You posted it at 1:11pm today. I see it was your fisrt post on MSE for over 3 months; April 1st being the last time you posted.

And then as soon as I reply, you delete the post...
  • grrfy
    grrfy Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I am still no further ahead with this.
  • cyka
    cyka Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    pooch wrote: »
    Perhaps you should have seen the writing on the wall at that point ;)

Well yes, I was fully aware that this offer won't last long and I was already preparing to leave SSE/change my meter but I received a letter informing me they are reducing my tariff from 1st April, so I stayed obviously.
  • pwharley
    pwharley Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just received a call from Ebico inviting me to transfer my gas supply back to them from SSE. I almost "bit the salesman's hand off" when he said it would still be zero standing charge, but a lower unit cost.

They are trying to call many of their former customers who opted not to move when they changed supplier from SSE to Robin Hood Energy.
  • grrfy
    Options
    hi @phharley , I presume you are on a credit meter and not a payg meter?
    payg customers are being asked to pay the standing charge ,ie those usually most vulnerable being asked to pay more £200 per year in my case.
  • breakingdexter
    Options
    I got the dreaded letter as well. My options are to go to Ebico Prepay for 6 months then they will switch me to the zero tarrif or I have to find out if SSE will fit a credit meter without me having to stay there for a certain amount of time. If I don't have to stay with them I can then go to Ebico Zero.
  • EP70_2
    EP70_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2017 at 8:01PM
    Options
    Hi,

Looks like we're very much in the same boat. I have prepay meters because they were already in the flat when I moved in years ago, and I found them ok. I too chose Ebico because they did not impose standing charges. I have been ill with CFS/ME for the last few years, so money has become more of an issue, and the letter I received yesterday, telling me my energy bills would go up by nearly £200, was quite a shock, and the last thing I need right now.

I was also told by Ebico that I could not have their 'Zero' plan, because I've got the wrong meters. Highly unfair, as I understand that new customers with the right meters can apply without a problem. (I did wonder to myself if they might do some sort of U-turn on this, if enough people complained, but I daren't hold my breath!)

I'm now waiting to hear back from SSE (whose staff are really doing their best to help), to find out exactly what my options are regarding a meter change, as I've seen some contradicting information about this online. I think they may be able to do it for free in some cases, but it's not clear cut. But even then there will still be a standing charge, plus I'm still not sure if a meter change means I'll be tied in with them for a certain period of time or not.

I am looking into switching as well, and have had several callbacks from comparison websites. They get commissions for switching customers, which can make them a bit pushy (always remember you have 14 days to back out!), but I'd rather make the change myself online and receive £30 (Cheap Energy Club) or £34 (Energy Helpline) cashback, if the switch I choose is eligible for that.

I did wonder about Utilita, who have no standing charges, but I don't like their two-tier system, where you pay a higher rate for the first 180 kWh you use in a month, and the lower rate after that, as being a low user, by that time a new month may have begun and you're back on the higher rate again. Not having the standing charge is a big plus though, so it's one I'm keeping in mind for the moment.

A similar company is Eversmart, but I'm not getting on very well with their website. They seem to have some very good Google reviews though.
    . . . a bit later . . .
    I've just rung them up on 0330 102 7901 (using 1899, this cost me only 1p per minute) and they sound quite promising. They have a few prepay tariffs, one of which has no standing charge (it's actually called "Goodbye Standing Charge"). The rates for that are approximately 4.5p for gas and 15.5p for electric (for a low user this is better than Utilita). They can send out a card and key for existing prepay meters, or fit smart meters for free. I understood that these smart meters are compatible with both prepay and credit type tariffs. (There have been some stories about radiation coming from them, much stronger than mobile phones, but I don't know how bad it is.)
    Eversmart can be found on the comparison sites Energylinx and Which. They have no exit fees.

A - somewhat long-winded - option for those considering credit meters could be EDF. You can join them as a prepay customer, and there will be a standing charge, but after 28 days you can apply to have your meters changed free of charge (but I suppose it may take a while before they can get someone out, so you might be on this tariff for a bit longer), and move to a credit tariff for a bit, which I believe still comes with a standing charge, and then go from there. From a chat I had with them last night I understood that you'd be free to leave at any moment, but the tariff I've been looking at states a £35 exit fee, so that is a bit confusing. (Apparently they don't do credit checks, whereas SSE does.)

I'll wait to hear what SSE come back with, but am considering Eversmart and EDF as other options for now. The research continues. I hope all the information I shared here is correct, as I've only got a foggy brain trying to make sense of it all. Maybe if we all put our heads together, we can find a decent solution.

Best of luck to all who are facing the same problem!!
  • grrfy
    Options
    re eversmart I to looked at them first time it quoted me that they had no standing charge , then after a reply on here i did it again and the quote said they did have a standing charge? confusing.I have tweeted them and recieved no reply as yet,
    Also looked at Utilita but came away thinking the same as you, i would only just get out of the higher rate in a month before the month ended and back on the higher rate.
    I have also looked at E energy but there rates seemed quite high also.
    Starting to feel like It would be easier just to freeze to death tbh,as a £200 increase is something I just cannot afford along with spare bedroom charge and being on sickness benefits and all the other expenses that come along with living alone.
  • EP70_2
    EP70_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2017 at 8:07PM
    Options
    I wonder if that happened because Eversmart have a couple of different Prepay tariffs, one/some of which has/have a standing charge. For a low user the one that's called "Goodbye Standing Charge" looks the best option. (Did not come up on their own website though! Try Energylinx or phone them.)

Regarding Utilita, it's good we've come to the exact same conclusion; confirms we're more likely to be on the right track in our research. Well, either that, or both wrong! :-)

EDF might be an option, but seems a bit of a hassle, plus a period of standing charges to get through (though the cashback thing might compensate a bit for that, depending on how that works). I must find out a bit more about their terms and conditions.

It is absolutely scandalous how people who are ill are being treated. And the bedroom tax is another outrage. I hear what you say; sometimes it all seems far too much, and we find ourselves wondering what the point is of all this struggling, and then this comes along on top of it all. Hopefully Ebico will see sense, and do something to help us out. If not, let's see what combined forces can come up with, and find the best alternative. Don't give up!!!!!

X
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport