Trigger of universal claim

Options
I currently only claim child tax and tax credits. I live in a full univesal credit area.Please can anyone advise me if the below will be classed as a change of circumstance and end my tax credits and move me to universal credit:?
1: child care costs increases by £40 monthly
2: I move address from private rented to mortgaged property ( currently looking to purchase a house ) in the same local authority area.
3: as question 2 but within a different local authority area

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is the fifth time you have asked the same question. Please refer to your previous threads for answers.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    peppapig14 wrote: »
    I currently only claim child tax and tax credits. I live in a full univesal credit area.Please can anyone advise me if the below will be classed as a change of circumstance and end my tax credits and move me to universal credit:?
    1: child care costs increases by £40 monthly
    2: I move address from private rented to mortgaged property ( currently looking to purchase a house ) in the same local authority area.
    3: as question 2 but within a different local authority area
    As previously asked the same question here. Take a look back and see the replies. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5783290
  • peppapig14
    Options
    Apologies for repeating my original posts, the reason being I have had a meeting with citizens advice bureau and a universal credit officer and they have said there is no actual way of knowing if my tax credit would end and trigger and trigger a universal credit claim as it'" luck of the draw" of who assess your claim. Some advisors would say a chamge of address is ok, some would say as you have moved from rented to mortgaged then it would trigger a uc claim.
    I'm looking for experiences of people to see generally what their experiences has been
    ghanks
  • peppapig14
    Options
    Thank you for your all your replis.
    I was astonished when the citizens advice officer said "luck of the draw". I'm really just after any one to advise if a change if address is definately a trigger, as I'm getting different answers from the forum to the official officers
  • micky2phones
    Options
    I was astonished when the citizens advice officer said "luck of the draw". I'm really just after any one to advise if a change if address is definately a trigger, as I'm getting different answers from the forum to the official officers

Hi, sorry i dont know the answer, but could the " luck of the draw " be base on the people they have seen and not the set rules ?

Just an idea
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    'luck of the draw' might mean whether or not the DWP get things right first time or if you have to appeal. The laws are what count though and the decision makers don't sit around rolling dice to see what law they apply to which claimant. I'd be very worried about a CAB that said that.

We have seen on these boards mistakes made by the DWP. It's all a bit chaotic at the moment with UC.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options

It is not luck of the draw - there is legislation that sets out when a claim for tax credit ends. A tax credit claim can only end and be replaced by UC in 3 situations:

1. The claimant chooses to claim UC instead (in a full service area)
    2. The claimant needs to claim another benefit that UC has replaced such as housing benefit - that would end the tax credit claim
    3. There is a change of circumstances that ends the tax credit claim - those are the normal changes of circumstances that end tax credit claims. A change of address is not one of them.

IQ
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Given that at some point 7 million+ people will be on UC, why not sign up to a benefits calculator such as Turn2us or Entitled To and see whether it might be an option that is worth pursuing.

The whole point of UC is that it is a benefit that can be adjusted over the years to take into account changing circumstances. E.g if your work earnings reduce because of employment problems, ill health, you have children etc. Think about any changes that might occur over the years, where having a UC claim running might be useful.

If you have legacy benefits and don't need to move to UC, it might not be worth it. Each person has different current circumstances and different future issues that affect the choices they make.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure