PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    :hello: Anyone about :D

I know I have asked about eggs before, but I have another question :o

New pack of eggs bought last week, but one was cracked. Put it in a pan of water, it's bottom stayed on the bottom of the pan but the top lifted iyswim....left it to hard boil for 10 mins and it is nearly floating now :eek:

Q: Would you eat it?

I know I sound ridiculous, but I've had food poisoning 3 times over my life time and each were probably caused by eggs..the first being in France in 1978 after a (restaurant) omelette.. Oh blimey was I ill :(, the most recent a couple of years ago after HM egg and veg stir fry mix...so hope you understand my paranoia :o

TIA :)

To be honest if you are worried I wouldn't its not worth it. I'm sure actually it will be fine but I suspect you would not enjoy it if you are concerned and there is the fact that the egg was already cracked so it may have gone off.

Chuck it and get another one out :)
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    To be honest if you are worried I wouldn't its not worth it. I'm sure actually it will be fine but I suspect you would not enjoy it if you are concerned and there is the fact that the egg was already cracked so it may have gone off.

Chuck it and get another one out :)

Thanks Nelski :)

You are right. I'll chuck it and boil another.

Thanks again.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For 8-10p it's not worth it... I'd rather starve for the sake of 8-10p of waste than risk something that starts by making me nervous through previous experiences.

Lob it.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The float test doesn't work too well for cracked eggs as some air gets in them, best way is crack in a bowl and if looks and smells okay it probably is but tbh I'd of binned so glad you decided to:)

My souvlaki was cracking not as good as my elder son's partner's (but she's Greek :)), enough LO for lunch tomorrow and I thought I'd be savvy and cook enough garlic/rosemary potatoes and roasted plum tomatoes to do tomorrow night as I'm having a lamb chop so they go well (feeling very MSE LOL:D)

Has anyone tried Jack Munroe's "peach & chickpea curry" - it seems to get good reviews and her recipes never make vast quantities but I'm not sure?
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    ... Jack Munroe's "peach & chickpea curry" ...

Never liked her, one of those "instant dislike" moments you get with some people, so not even looked at her recipes to be honest :)

I won't go into a rant about her here :)
    Not appropriate and I'll only end up spitting at the keyboard.
  • mcculloch29
    Options
    caronc wrote: »

Has anyone tried Jack Munroe's "peach & chickpea curry" - it seems to get good reviews and her recipes never make vast quantities but I'm not sure?

It's one of my favourites. It does make enough to serve two people, Jack states some left over for lunch, it depends on your appetite. Mine is more robust than Jack's. I usually add some turmeric and a big handful of sultanas as well as the peaches. I've tried it with more expensive peaches in juice as well as in syrup and there was little difference. I usually get all the ingredients from Aldi.

Jack's recipes are extensively used by foodbanks as many (like the peach and chickpea curry) are based on tinned ingredients.

PasturesNew, we'll agree to disagree about Jack Monroe and I will say no more on the subject.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 February 2017 at 9:36AM
    Options
    It's one of my favourites. It does make enough to serve two people, Jack states some left over for lunch, it depends on your appetite. Mine is more robust than Jack's. I usually add some turmeric and a big handful of sultanas as well as the peaches. I've tried it with more expensive peaches in juice as well as in syrup and there was little difference.
    Thanks:A might give it a bash as I think I have all the ingredients - though the tin in the cupboard might be apricots not peaches will need to check...

ETA - checked the recipe and apparently either will do though think I'll stick with trying it with peaches as they are cheaper so less of a write off if I'm not keen on it
  • Tiddlywinks
    Options
    They also really require a hob, which I don't use ...

Why don't you use your hob PN? Is it another reason of your 'foibles' :o or just a CBA kind of thing?

If it's an aversion because of safety concerns then a single plug-in halogen hob is worth considering. They only get hot when the metal of the pan is touching the cooking surface. Got mine from Lidl and use it at Christmas for extra capacity and it's great.

You could then do stir fries and curries (amongst other things).

Back to takeaways - sorry I'm a bit late to the party about this - I always have packs of Veeta pilao rice in the cupboard (2 mins in microwave) and serve that with whatever curry and naan I've bought from the local place. It saves nearly £2 per rice portion doing that and the taste is very authentic.
    :hello:
  • martinnathalie9
    Options
    I think the most cost effective way to cook for one is to actually cook as if you there was a group of you, I like to then freeze any leftovers for another time. Cooking in bulk means you don't always have to cook nice things from fresh constantly, we all need a quick and easy dinner solution at times!
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Why don't you use your hob PN? Is it another reason of your 'foibles' :o or just a CBA kind of thing?
    Foibles + it's gas + I've never used a gas one + I've no tiny pans that would balance on a gas one + I had a friend who caught fire on a gas hob. Fears, fears, fears. Fire. No, no, no. :)
    .... safety concerns then a single plug-in halogen hob is worth considering. They only get hot when the metal of the pan is touching the cooking surface. Got mine from Lidl and use it at Christmas for extra capacity and it's great.
    Anything that plugs in is a fear factor for me. Plus, space - nowhere for it.

You could then do stir fries and curries (amongst other things).
    I despise stir fries, no idea how they got to be so popular :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure