Hourly rate for handmade beaded jewellery?

Options
I need to calculate the price for my handmade beaded jewellery, but don't know how much my hourly rate would be.

Any suggestions please?

Cheers.

Comments

• Reb2016
    Reb2016 Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    I would want at least minimum wage, but the craft market is very competitive so you might find that you are charging more than most others making this type of jewellery. (That's why I stopped making Jewellery)

Might be worth looking around at places such as Etsy and Local craft markets and working out what you think those people charge themselves.

Reb
  • mapleleaf1010
    Options
    Reb2016 wrote: »
    I would want at least minimum wage, but the craft market is very competitive so you might find that you are charging more than most others making this type of jewellery. (That's why I stopped making Jewellery)

Might be worth looking around at places such as Etsy and Local craft markets and working out what you think those people charge themselves.

Reb

Yes, I agree that it should be at least minimum wage. I'll have a look at Etsy and see what people are charging for their jewellery.

It's a shame that many people expect crafters to sell their jewellery cheaply (boot sales or ebay prices). :(
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hourly rates aren't always the most helpful way to price a handmade craft item because individual rates of working/the quality of the finished item vary so much. You could seriously underprice if you are a fast worker turning out fabulous quality items which are bang on trend. Alternatively, you could price yourself out of the market !

Try the 'rule of thirds' - one third of the price covers components, one third covers overheads and one third is profit - and see what sort of return that gives you in relation to time spent.
  • Tealblue
    Options
    Forget trying to work out an 'hourly rate' - just sell for the maximum the market will stand. If that doesn't bring in a return you are happy with (whatever benchmark you set, which may equate to the minimum wage if that's your measure of success), think again about whether it's worth the effort. A quick look at the selling prices on ebay tells a depressing story about how much (or rather how little) people are willing to pay for hand crated items.
  • Jo_F
    Jo_F Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do a lot of bead weaving, which obviously takes a lot of time, my pens take 5 hours each, so there is no way I could charge for the time. I tend to base the selling price on the cost of materials, either x3 or x4 depending on which I think the item would sell for
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure