Are there any free stock trading apps/systems like Robinhood available in the UK?

Options
13»

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Antiquated advice. OEICs are obsolete. Can anyone give an example where an OEIC is the best investment choice vs. the equivalent Vanguard or iShares ETF?

Vanguard FTSE All-World ETF - total cost 0.25%pa.

HSBC FTSE All World Index OEIC - total cost 0.2%pa, for exactly the same investment.

Similarly Vanguard FTSE 100 ETF - 0.09%pa. BlackRock OEIC - 0.07%pa for exactly the same investment. OEICs are only obsolete if you like paying more money to financial firms.
    Robos like Nutmeg generally charge c. 1% pa when all fees are included, so would be curious what investment platform you use that you think 1% pa is a complete rip off?

Nutmeg is a robo adviser (aka a very expensive way of investing in a generic multi asset fund) so not comparable. In any case, as you said that 1% is all-in, not with fund management fees on top.

I consider 0.25% - 0.3%pa to be standard for platform charges, although I use Hargreaves Lansdown and am well aware they are on the pricy side. Twice what Hargreaves Lansdown charge plus a bit more = rip-off.

Obviously this is irrelevant if they are charging 0.12% a year plus dealing costs and the FT article is out of date. But I can't tell which is out of date, the FT article or the Crowdcube page. You'd expect a visit to Freetrade's website to sort that out, but it declines to disclose their charges, which is never a good sign. And ironic given a bit on their front page blurb saying "simple pricing - no hidden fees"!
  • Joe_Faragelli
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »

HSBC FTSE All World Index OEIC - total cost 0.2%pa, for exactly the same investment.

Similarly Vanguard FTSE 100 ETF - 0.09%pa. BlackRock OEIC - 0.07%pa for exactly the same investment. OEICs are only obsolete if you like paying more money to financial firms.

You raise a good point here, which is that UK funds, both OEICs and ETFs are on the expensive side. A Vanguard all-world ETF in the USA (Symbol: VT) has an expense ratio of 0.11% vs double for the similar UK version. The UK version would also have embedded FX conversion spreads not included in the TER if priced in GBP. The difference in fees starts to get silly when you look at US-only funds, like S&P 500 trackers.

And yes, the BlackRock version of the UK FTSE 100 fund is cheaper than Vanguard - but the TER on the iShares (still BlackRock) version is also 0.09%. This is a case of iShares being cheaper than Vanguard, not OEICs being cheaper than ETFs.

But fair enough, there are some instances where an OEIC will come out cheaper, thanks for posting.:T
  • Joe_Faragelli
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »

I consider 0.25% - 0.3%pa to be standard for platform charges, although I use Hargreaves Lansdown and am well aware they are on the pricy side. Twice what Hargreaves Lansdown charge plus a bit more = rip-off.

Obviously this is irrelevant if they are charging 0.12% a year plus dealing costs and the FT article is out of date. But I can't tell which is out of date, the FT article or the Crowdcube page. You'd expect a visit to Freetrade's website to sort that out, but it declines to disclose their charges, which is never a good sign. And ironic given a bit on their front page blurb saying "simple pricing - no hidden fees"!

Me too, which is why I switched to the Vanguard service this summer, which has a platform fee of 0.15%. Only issue is they limit you to Vanguard (UK) ETFs, which are executed only twice a day. Very similar to OEICs which transact once a day when the NAV is set.

Personally, I am excited about Freetrade because I'll pay something similar to the Vanguard service I use now, but will have the option of selecting ETF from other providers (including the US versions like SPY and GLD), in addition to shares. Call me 'incompetent compared to professionals' but I like to overweight my portfolio in companies I think are good long term investments, like Amazon.

(I get the newsletter from Freetrade so maybe have more information than what is on their admittedly quite basic website)
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 September 2017 at 10:08PM
    Options
    Just to correct a few mentions of Nutmeg charging 1% plus fund costs - this simply isn't true.

Nutmeg have fixed allocation portfolios using a mix of ETFs where the Nutmeg fee is 0.45% and the weighted average ETF fee is 0.19% so 0.64% total with no fees for trading, transfering or withdrawal.

Although I agree Vanguard offers better value for ISAs (0.15% plus 0.22% for VLS equals 0.37%) there is a place for Nutmeg in LISAs.
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone actually used Freetrade since it has launched on IOS and hopes to be launched on Android by the end of the month?
  • vikpaw
    vikpaw Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone actually used Freetrade since it has launched on IOS and hopes to be launched on Android by the end of the month?

I’ve been using it since the very early stages on iOS. Mostly on the spot trades at an incredible £1 charge.
    Also bought up some long term holds on the free of charge basis (based on end of day price).
    U.K./US stocks and various funds. All good and getting some good dividends back already.
    So far so good. No issues and the team are very friendly and responsive.
    They have their own active forum/community too.
    :exclamatiSpeed is irrelevant; if you are going in the wrong direction:exclamati
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    vikpaw wrote: »
    I’ve been using it since the very early stages on iOS. Mostly on the spot trades at an incredible £1 charge.
    Also bought up some long term holds on the free of charge basis (based on end of day price).
    U.K./US stocks and various funds. All good and getting some good dividends back already.
    So far so good. No issues and the team are very friendly and responsive.
    They have their own active forum/community too.

Thanks

Whats the FX charge like? Can you hold different currencies?
  • vikpaw
    vikpaw Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    You can’t hold US funds, only GBP.
    The exchange is the spot rate plus 0.45% which is good.
    An instant US trade costs £1.
    :exclamatiSpeed is irrelevant; if you are going in the wrong direction:exclamati
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure