PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you, Cappella! Anyone else ready to [STRIKE]be pressganged[/STRIKE]/volunteer?
    :( I'd like to but have too many commitments already for my limited free time and limited energy. But it's a great project and I shall be cheering from the sidelines.

I started the morning happily imagining that a hung parliament meant we'd all be meeting at Tyburn with our knitting and watching the hempen fandango, but wiser heads have corrected this misapprehension.

Pants. As the old jest has it; the trouble with elections is that politicians always win.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not PANTS for us this morning but PAINTS.....we're going to B&Q for some match pots to start redecorating the house with a view to going on the market to move closer to the girls. Going to downsize and find another property with a garden big enough to grow stuff but with less rooms to heat and therefore less outgoings in the future (if there is one). I think the more self reliant we can become, the more things in life that we can provide for ourselves the better our lives will be, simpler because we're NOT 'Jacks of all trades' so some things will have to be simplified for us to do the maintenance etc. but that is probably a good thing in this ever more complex world. There are some days when I'm actually glad I'm 69 and this is one of them.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I looked up the technical aspects of a hung parliament a couple if hours ago but it was a bit early and my grasp of it remains fuzzy.
    We have honey dressings at our gp surgery, there are nurse practitioners and at least one is very keen on them. I had them post surgery and very effective- I did wonder if the honey would stick the dressing to the wound and make the scabs pull off tmi but it didn't.

I had never even thought of sharpening a toothbrush in the event of zombie infestation. In my naivety, I had thought a couple of carving knives, one for each hand, would be my anti-undead weapons of choice. We actually have 3, my OH can have the leftover one, I shall need 2. He can have the small paring knife too.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanking about how we should go about this: probably we should take a chunk of pages each - say, 50 each to start with - read through them & copy & paste all practical, relevant tips into a Word/Open Office/Pages document. Then send them all to one of us to collate; I don't mind doing this, as I'm using a Mac & WP-type things are very much easier than I ever found them on a PC! There'll be a spot of editing as things will need to be put into specific topics, in order for the resulting post/document/page to make sense. Does that make sense so far?
    Sounds good to me - can you and/or Mrs LW line up the volunteers with page numbers?

What you're suggesting is absolutely what I do for my own use. On the first 5 pages of the original thread, there's a scenario suggestion (12 August 2012 - from mardatha, actually :D and the responses to that are really interesting too, those are the kinds of things I'd edit to fit into a document.

Sharpening toothbrushes - I've seen that on TV recently, season 6 of Burn Notice, if anyone's interested :D

As for the honey - I suspect that a dab of honey on a dressing would still be fine, no need to go the extra mile and buy a dressing.

No prepping done here yesterday - I was queuing at the Antiques Roadshow!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Being close to family is one of the best ways to increase resilience of the whole unit, I always think, so good luck with the sale Mrs L.

We ourselves may end up moving sooner rather than later if Labour bring in their garden tax - and if they don't form a government this time, I think we are looking at a very left of centre win in probably under two years. Not that we have a huge garden. But we are in the London suburbs and prices are stupid. On a rough estimate based on the figures bandied about, it would swallow up most of my pension
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 9 June 2017 at 2:12PM
    Options
    Lyn you sound not-so-chipper this morning and I'm sad because of it.

I find this whole campaign a game and I'm cross about it. The Tories were he'll bent on playing the Brexit tactical game in ramming home the disastrous option of Labour. They lacked passion, care and enthusiasm. Labour played the youngster game offering the world via a leader who has protested and attended rallies all his career. Nothing appealled to me and I have no faith in anyone. That's my take on this and this is my opinion for Brexit. It's non existent because I have no idea what any of it is about because of lack of information! It might be a good thing that the government has seen that they don't have carte blanche to do what they like that my only pinch of positivity. I don't actually know anything about the DUP but I feel it doesn't matter because history has played to me that the government will get the pat on the back for the better stuff and the coalition party will be blamed for anything other than successful.

We're just pawns as always.

Anyway. Downsize! It's a great life. Everything earns it's place, no room for clutter and have to be organised. It's cheaper to run and pay for. It all adds up to happiness and sound mental health. I wish for you all looking to downsize the gusto to muster a little excitement about the change to help with motivation and positivity.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm OK FUDS, taken a little aback at politics and you'd think I'm old enough to have seen most things but what I hate is the false promises bandied about by all parties about what they'll do, what they'll do away with but not where the money will come from to do them and how the world will be a better place if we vote for them not the other guys and playing youth against age in a bid not to help any of us but to gain power for their own ends. I hate the feeling of people being duped by slick words from unscrupulous people for self advancement!!! I'm tired is all, we're waking up at silly o clock every day with the light levels and I'm adjusting meds at the moment so not 100% in anything.....BUT I WILL BE SOON!!!

We're little squares of colour all over the house at the moment and have made the decision on colour for the hall, stairs and landing which had to be done quickly along with our room as new carpets were purchased yesterday and we need to paint before that happens. I'm square eyes looking at houses on the computer at the moment and none of them have the garden I'm after.....it's there though I just have to let it find me!!!
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good luck Lyn, as you say, I'm sure the right house will find you :)

The election result was a bit of a surprise, but who knows, it may even turn out to have been the best possible result in the end.

It might sound selfish but atm I'm more concerned that one of the meds I'm on is making my hair fall out :( It's a "rare" side-effect apparently. I know women's hair does get thinner after the menopause, but this has been happening just since I needed to increase the dose :mad: and there's nothing I can take instead. Has anyone tried that German shampoo that claims to stimulate hair growth?
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Oooh, karmakat, can you tell us what curio or treasure you had with you?

My department has been a bit like the marie celeste this week with colleagues out on election duties at polling stations and a different batch out doing the count. Those who are up into the small hours aren't expected to work the following morning, thank goodness.

The prevailing mood among those I've encountered seems to be a sense of anti-climax and a puzzlement about how it will all pan out. I have clear memories of the thatcher regime being propped up for years by a small group of ulster MPs so this new arrangement has unfortunate echoes from my pov.

Lyn it's a huge decision to make but I feel it's the right one, to be closer to children and grandchildren. I wish you both the very best of luck in finding your dream home in the new area.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Oooh, karmakat, can you tell us what curio or treasure you had with you?
    It's a very limited mug from this pottery: http://www.winchcombepottery.co.uk/

A silver jubilee mug, made by Ray Finch himself, a dozen of them for his children and their partners (I was a partner at the time :o), he's quite well known in the potting world. and because of the edition size, the story and the cast iron provenance (:o) it was valued at over £100 ... a single mug ... quite a jolt, actually.
    Lyn it's a huge decision to make but I feel it's the right one, to be closer to children and grandchildren. I wish you both the very best of luck in finding your dream home in the new area.
    Seconded - sorry I didn't earlier.

ivyleaf: of course you're more concerned with loss of hair right now! I'm more concerned with my (ex) pest problem in the loft than the election, absolutely!
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family