Best spending help for USA

Options
This forum was brilliant last September helping me sort out flights for our holiday to Portland Oregon USA. We are both OAP's and this is a one month, one off trip to see relatives not seen for over 30 years. What I would like some help with now is what to do about spending money. Things have changed from when we were young and it was local currency and travellers cheques. Have tried reading all of Martin's advice pages and am getting confused.
We have Nationwide debit card and Nationwide Select credit card. Am I right in thinking that I should use the credit card for day to day purchases out there and then use the debit card to take out dollars from the ATM. Is this the best way to do it. We are there for a month, so I guess we should take some dollars with us. Your advice would be really appreciated.

Comments

• phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yup those cards are ideal seeing as you already have them.

Dont forget to tell nationwide you are going abroad!
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The nationwide debit card will be fee free if it's from the flexplus account, if not you will be charged as for most other cards.

Most US ATMs will charge fees anyway but you should be able to pay for most things with your credit cards and should have little need for cash.

It would be better to have another reserve card as well, the Halifax clarity is often recommended.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We take our Saga card as a back up to the Nationwide cards. We put almost everything on the NW credit card and pay it off as soon as we get home.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • patgc
    patgc Posts: 427 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry not to get back sooner, been poorly.
    Should I take some dollars for incedentals to start us off ? Then use the CC for everything and anything that will take it? Its set up already to pay in full every month so if payment time is whilst we are away, it will pay it automatically.
    Who is recommended to purchase dollars from at a good rate ?
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    patgc wrote: »
    Sorry not to get back sooner, been poorly.
    Should I take some dollars for incedentals to start us off ? Then use the CC for everything and anything that will take it? Its set up already to pay in full every month so if payment time is whilst we are away, it will pay it automatically.
    Who is recommended to purchase dollars from at a good rate ?
    Hope you are feeling better, I always take a few spare dollars for incidentals especially where credit card payment isn't appropriate. If I don't have currency left over from a previous trip I will use the Moneymax facility and pick up a few $. I have found the No1 cash generator to be the best for collection in my area for my most recent trips.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Land at airport.

Stick suitable card in ATM. Withdraw an appropriate amount is $ for the flat fee charged by the ATM. Enjoy holiday with no further cash. Repay card debt to minimise interest on cash.
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely take two credit cards. You don't want to find yourself with 'card declined' when paying for something. A spare could save a lot of hassle.
  • patgc
    patgc Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, Thanks. Have applied and been accepted for the Halifax Clarity to keep as a backup.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure