Paypal dispute - protection??

Options
Hi,

I recently bought an item from EBay, USA (i.e. .com) with seller located in Canada. 100% feedback, lots of sales OK. Now he has 50+ neg's in like 10days, made his FB private and I got a 900GBP dollerama, $3 dollars written on it, baking tray.

It was on CC through paypal. They told me not to send back the worthless item and wait for a decision in 11days'ish. They also want a police reference number for the crime.

I called non-emergency to report it and they told me to speak to Action fraud. However they say it's a civil matter where buyer and seller never met contract and that this is something I'd have to follow up in small claims.

Basically I can't get a police reference number for fraud. Surely misrepresenting an item for sale is a crime?

I've got days left to get this number and after looking around, it may end up with me having to close my paypal account and use the protection offered by my card provider. I don't want to stop using it ebay or paypal but what am I supposed to do?

I am also wondering what follows if I do this? debt collector letters? not to mention that Fedex is asking for import duty and VAT on the item which was declared on the forms at value. I never signed for the item and would of returned it but I live in a shared house and it was signed for by someone else.

Any suggests would be very welcome?

Regards

g

Comments

• Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Options
    Section 75 time.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Section 75 time.
    Unfortunately card companies can refuse S75 claims as Paypal is an intermediary. You have not paid the seller directly.
  • Brooker_Dave
    Options
    Unfortunately card companies can *try to* refuse S75 claims, but in the end they have to pay up.

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with S75 comments.

I'm not entirely sure how it works as a crime though. You have obviously been the victim of one and not something that's just a civil matter. I'd try writing to your Chief Constable and seeing what they have to say. They probably won't do anything to investigate but it is something that should be recorded.
    Also try your local Trading Standards.
    Failing all that, contact your local MP. Canada being in the Commonwealth might help your cause.
    In other words, exhaust every avenue and don't just rely on section 75 claim.
  • Brooker_Dave
    Options
    Just bang in a S75 claim, and take the bank to court if needed.

Some banks like to pretend that paypal purchases don't apply to S75 due to the funds first going to Paypal, but in reality most if not all credit card payments go through a third party such as Sage or Worldpay.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family