Esa50 renewel ... worried and stressed

Options
So 2 days ago the esa50 dropped through the door and I have been an utter mess even seeing it .

I first applied for esa back in 2014/2015 (unsure) and after a f2f was placed in the wrag group and attended a few meetings . After receiving a pip award my esa went up . I haven't been called for meeting for well over a year so don't know if they have changed the group I'm in or just haven't contacted me .

I suffer with extreme depression amongst other things and contemplate suicide on a daily basis ( so ashamed to admit this :(. ) in the first box it asks what is wrong with me and how that makes me feel etc . I have been as honest as I can be by using my worst days but haven't over exaggerated at all as I don't see how lying will help me when it comes to a f2f .

My concern is that I have described my suicidal thoughts as a symptom on 5 of my illnesses , I have stated again in a few places on the form about it . I have mentioned suicide attempts and hospital admittances in the past and have also explained the only reason I haven't gone through with it is because of the effect it would have on my children .

I have since seen a post saying don't over emphasise suicide as it will go against me as they will think I'm trying to get in the support group ( being incontinant which I have only just learnt means I should have been in that group from the start ) ..... this is not my aim , I was just doing as told and describing my daily life and how my disabilities effect me . Now I think maybe I should go back and cross some of them out as I don't want them to think I'm claiming I'm worse then I am ( which I'm not )

Sorry for the long ranting post . Anxiety and panic have truly set in

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Daisy2017 wrote: »
    So 2 days ago the esa50 dropped through the door and I have been an utter mess even seeing it .

I first applied for esa back in 2014/2015 (unsure) and after a f2f was placed in the wrag group and attended a few meetings . After receiving a pip award my esa went up . I haven't been called for meeting for well over a year so don't know if they have changed the group I'm in or just haven't contacted me .

I suffer with extreme depression amongst other things and contemplate suicide on a daily basis ( so ashamed to admit this :(. ) in the first box it asks what is wrong with me and how that makes me feel etc . I have been as honest as I can be by using my worst days but haven't over exaggerated at all as I don't see how lying will help me when it comes to a f2f .

My concern is that I have described my suicidal thoughts as a symptom on 5 of my illnesses , I have stated again in a few places on the form about it . I have mentioned suicide attempts and hospital admittances in the past and have also explained the only reason I haven't gone through with it is because of the effect it would have on my children .

I have since seen a post saying don't over emphasise suicide as it will go against me as they will think I'm trying to get in the support group ( being incontinant which I have only just learnt means I should have been in that group from the start ) ..... this is not my aim , I was just doing as told and describing my daily life and how my disabilities effect me . Now I think maybe I should go back and cross some of them out as I don't want them to think I'm claiming I'm worse then I am ( which I'm not )

Sorry for the long ranting post . Anxiety and panic have truly set in
    I would have thought you are still in the WRAG because vlaiming PIP wouldn't make any difference to you ESA claim.

I would certainly not advice you to cross out anything you've already put on the form because they make look bad for you. If you've already put it down then leave it. I can't see how telling them exactly how it is will go against you. Others with more experience and better knowledge than me will be able to advice you better.

Did you not think of asking for help with this form? CAB are often very good or a local disability advice centre that's maybe close to you? If you do then they could check the form over for you to make sure you haven't missed anything out.

Sending in evidence to support your claim is very important. Letters from GP, Consultants, Social Workers, letter/diary from yourself. All these are good forms of evidence. Good luck.
  • Daisy2017
    Options
    Thankyou poppy ... I have a letter here but I can't work out how to upload it ... do you think that's suitable evidence of my incontinance ? And it's dated July 2015 and I still haven't heard anything ?? It's from bowel and bladder nsh letter from hospital to my doctor I think .

" I saw this lady back in November last year and she presented with a picture of mixed stress and urge incontinance , on examination she had very weak pelvic
    Squeeze but there was slight movement so she started on pelvic floor exercises She started on tolterdine shortly afterwards .

I reviewed her in clinic today and she feels the tolterdine has helped a little and she has less urgency but she still struggles a lot with stress incontinance which restricts what she does and causes her a lot of embarrassment when out with friends or family . On examination today I could only feel a flicker of movement .

Kerry has completed her family and would like to look at surgical options to manage stress incontinance .id be grateful therefor if you could kindly refer her to a urognoligist for further assessment and advice "

My concern is it's old . It also says I go out when I don't . It says I have completed my family but I put in the form that I can't have more children because of the effect of my depression and what coming off medication would do .

So do I send the letter because it helps validate my incontinance or do I not because it contradicts what I have said in my form ?? Thankyou
  • Daisy2017
    Options
    Should add I have other evidence of my other illnesses was just unsure on this one , thankyou
  • Daisy2017
    Options
    Can admin please take the name out .. edit won't work and I've reported the reply but nothing's happening ( new to this ) sorry
  • poppy12345
    Options
    As it's only a letter of referal and you haven't heard anything then i wouldn't send it. It's also dated 2015 so if you haven't heard anything by now then i'd want to know why. Don't out any evidence that contradicts what you've said in your ESA form. The evidence you'll need is to prove what you're saying is true and not the opposite.

Also 2 years between assessments is about right for the WRAG. Good luck.

As i said before it maybe worth asking CAB for advice after you've finished with that form.
  • Daisy2017
    Options
    Last question. I really appreciate your help . When I claimed pip atos sent my doctor a medical form information thing and this was filled out and sent back to them to say I had suffered depression and anxiety for years and receive such and such medication . Would you include a copy ? Again it's a year old and they may well send a request for their own ?? I really don't feel able to go to citizens advice so just trying to be honest and do the best I can and pray I guess
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Daisy2017 wrote: »
    Last question. I really appreciate your help . When I claimed pip atos sent my doctor a medical form information thing and this was filled out and sent back to them to say I had suffered depression and anxiety for years and receive such and such medication . Would you include a copy ? Again it's a year old and they may well send a request for their own ?? I really don't feel able to go to citizens advice so just trying to be honest and do the best I can and pray I guess
    I don't see why you can't send that. Don't rely on them contacting any medical professional because they often don't. You were very lucky with your PIP claim that they contacted your GP. Always send in your own evidence. Anything except future appointment dates/times is good.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 September 2017 at 12:11AM
    Options
    As poppy says, please don't cross anything out.
    It is no bad thing to repeat things on the ESA50 form.
    If you want to add more info you can attach additional sheets.
    Attaching a copy of the PIP GP's letter would be sensible.

I certainty don't think describing suicide ideation on the form will "go against you".
    But it's worth explaining what triggers these thoughts and if possible link this to the descriptors.
    http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/med2/indexxx.php
    https://www.rethink.org/living-with-mental-illness/money-issues-benefits-employment/work-capability-assessment/what-next
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/2955-regulation-35-2-b-is-now-the-main-route-into-esa-support-group

These are useful guides to completing the ESA50 form:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/fill-in-form/
    https://www.rethink.org/living-with-mental-illness/money-issues-benefits-employment/work-capability-assessment/the-health-questionnaire
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/images/image/samples/esa/mh_wca_may13.pdf

Good luck.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Daisy2017
    Options
    Thankyou for that Alice .

I think I have done ok ? But I have just noticed on my pip doc report that the last page where he signs he has ticked the boxes for no to does the patient have a history of threatening or violent behaviour and yes to could your patient travel to an assessment centre by public transport or taxi ...... should I just send the first three pages as I have never even heard of the doctor who filled the form in ( we only have locums in our surgery now , I also don't go to the doctor and tell them that I throw things about and scream and shout and threaten people - I go for my tablets ?? The letter would really help because it says "anxiety and low mood effect ability to attend to normal activities of daily living " and " mood variation and anxiety may effect decision making when present " .... but I feel adding the last page will contradict what I have said in the form about finding it difficult to go out and my abusive violent behaviour 😔

I think I have completed it the best I can .... is it wise to wait to send it more nearer the time or just get it in the post and be don't with it ... I have till 17th oct ??

Many thanks
  • Alice_Holt
    Options
    Difficult to say. My feeling is that it is better to send the report in its entirety, particularly if it is obvious that pages could be missing.
    The report is very helpful around activity 13. - Initiating and completing personal action (which means planning, organisation, problem solving, prioritising or switching tasks). So I would refer to the report in that section.

Sometimes keeping a diary can be useful - in which you record day-to-day events around the ESA activities. I would imagine coping with change would also be difficult for you - so write down some examples which you can take to the assessment and tell them about.
    Take a copy of your form, so you can also take that to the assessment.

Re sending it off. I would be inclined to put it aside for a couple of days, then review it fresh for a final time.
    Better to sent it in good time - but you have plenty of time for that final check.

I would suggest that you do make your GP aware of all the difficulties of your condition. If only that he can confirm your statements in future reports / letters, and may be able to provide a more accurate report around the ESA activities for you.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure