Life Insurance sold by a bank

Options
My wife has recently found a life insurance policy she was unaware of. 5 years ago she went to see a banks financial adviser regarding a investment, she was sold the investments and the life insurance policy, however she can not recall agreeing to it. The paper work is all there to prove that she did so.

She was sold the life insurance at a time when she was single and had no dependents. Has anyone else had any similar experience where they have been sold life insurance policies which they did not need at the time. Is there anything which can be done about this?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,384 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    She was sold the life insurance at a time when she was single and had no dependents. Has anyone else had any similar experience where they have been sold life insurance policies which they did not need at the time. Is there anything which can be done about this?

Since 2005, a statement of demands and needs would be required. This document states the justification to meet the financial needs. So, what does that document say? That is key to whether there is a case to answer or not.

Was it life assurance only or Life plus Critical Illness cover?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • haras_nosirrah
    haras_nosirrah Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Options
    does she need the life cover now? If you complain they will cancel the cover and getting another policy now would be more expensive due to age. If you have no property, children, financial need for cover then cancel and complain if you feel she was missold the policy. If you have a need for cover now even if you didn't then then complaining may cost you more in the long run
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Gooner83
    Gooner83 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 23 June 2017 at 3:51PM
    Options
    Thank you for the responses.

@dunstonh, she doesn't remember any statement of demands and needs, this is the first we've heard of that. There is also no paperwork for that. It was life + critical illness.

@haras_nosirrah, we searched online for a like for like policy and found one which was £50 cheaper. We then called her current insurance provider who said they would match the price. So they are willing to provide her existing policy at £50 less.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,384 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    she doesn't remember any statement of demands and needs, this is the first we've heard of that. There is also no paperwork for that.

Most people don't. I spent a very long time on a suitability Report (the investment equivalent) for a client and a few months later he phoned up asking questions. All of which were covered in the report. I asked him if he read the report and he said he could not remember it. Two days later he emailed me to say he found it in the draw.
    It was life + critical illness.

This is the vital bit of information. And this means it was not missold.

CIC standalone is usually the same cost or just pennies different from Life & CIC. So, it's considered best practise to include life cover, even if it not immediately required.
    we searched online for a like for like policy and found one which was £50 cheaper. We then called her current insurance provider who said they would match the price. So they are willing to provide her existing policy at £50 less.

Banks are more expensive than other distributions. However, a £50pm difference is way above the typical level (unless she is paying say £150pm). This would suggest it is not a like-for-like comparison. We have seem people comparing Life & TI vs Life & CIC before thinking they were the same thing. They are not. Or a budget CIC vs a comprehensive CIC. Even if you are comparing life & CIC vs life & CIC, it is unlikely that two providers are like for like.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure