PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Online agent - suspect 'fake' offer (no sale no fee)

Options

Comments

• bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    We need to see the exact, wording in the contract.

Please quote it in full.

It's not that uncommon for overseas investors to buy without viewing - though more often it's off-plan / new builds. As mentioned above, returning expats might do so also if familiar with the area & properties.

Having said that, the coincidence of timing IS suspect! Call their bluff and accept provisionally and see if they proceed.

I'd prefer not to quote the T&Cs but they are vague enough I am asking the question....

As much as I'd love to think the house is a 1 off, can't miss it place, too be honest, this is not the sort of thing you would buy unseen from 4,000 miles away as you could pick up 100 more within 50 miles around a similar price, so it's not got any sort of unique selling point that would explain an offer made unseen IMHO.
  • bxboards
    Options
    pretamang wrote: »
    I take it that £4k is too low for you to accept?

Could you still 'accept' the offer and ask that they proceed with the conveyancing process, but given that they've not seen the house you will keep it on the market until they've had a survey done and demonstrated to your lawyer that they have deposit funds in place?

If none of this materialises then they are clearly not able, whether they exist or not.

In principle, the offer might be acceptable, but I'd feel a whole lot better if I had done a viewing with them and met them first so I know it's a real person on the end of it. The whole point of online agents is that the seller does the viewings etc themselves, and this step is missing, and it feels crucial.

I like your way of thinking with this - what I do not want to do it have it go off market subject to contract, incur solicitors fees etc, only to find out the buyer isn't genuine or doesn't even exist.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is this an EA whose name rhymes with 'mouse pimple'?

If so their current t&cs say it must be a 'ready, willing and able' buyer, who has offered the full asking price.

Even if it's a different EA that uses the term 'Ready, Willing and Able', that term has a special meaning in law.

See this response to a complaint to the property ombudsman:
    The Estate Agents (Provision of Information) Regulations 1991 define a purchaser who is ‘ready, willing and able’ as a person (or persons) who “is prepared and is able to exchange unconditional contracts for the sale of your property”.

Link: https://www.tpos.co.uk/news-media-and-press-releases/case-studies/item/ready-willing-able-case-2
  • bxboards
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    Is this an EA whose name rhymes with 'mouse pimple'?

If so their current t&cs say it must be a 'ready, willing and able' buyer, who has offered the full asking price.

Even if it's a different EA that uses the term 'Ready, Willing and Able', that term has a special meaning in law.

See this response to a complaint to the property ombudsman:

Thanks a lot, that is very helpful :D
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't suppose there's anything wrong with naming the company by sharing the Ts&Cs. You're only stating facts at the minute.
  • bxboards
    Options
    so...a small update on this. I had my suspicions from the start this was a 'fake' buyer.

I requested proof of funds. still have not had them, but this 'buyer' does not have cash in hand, and appears to be in a chain.

So I phoned up to request a refund of my set up fee today, as it's been a clear 3 months with no genuine buyer in sight. While I was on hold, I got another 'offer' message come in via e-mail and SMS after days of silence - literally DURING my phone call requesting this set up fee refund!- this whole thing is smelling more fishy then a fishy thing.

I will report back if I do get my set-up fee back... I am almost certain there is no real person at the end of this offer now.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    Todays offer would be over the 91 day cut off point anyway so I would tell them to jog on.
  • bxboards
    Options
    Right well... as someone here advsised, I suggested the 'buyer' get a survey done as they had not viewed. The survey was quickly declined.

I was told a few times, the buyer was anxious to complete, so I accepted the offer.

Interesting, the buyer on the memorandum of sale has no named solicitor, and the buyer's address is linked the online agent according to google....

Needless to say, my set up fee has not been refunded.

Assuming my suspicions here are coming to reality, considering my next steps!
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    bxboards wrote: »
    Right well... as someone here advsised, I suggested the 'buyer' get a survey done as they had not viewed. The survey was quickly declined.

I was told a few times, the buyer was anxious to complete, so I accepted the offer.

Interesting, the buyer on the memorandum of sale has no named solicitor, and the buyer's address is linked the online agent according to google....

Needless to say, my set up fee has not been refunded.

Assuming my suspicions here are coming to reality, considering my next steps!
    Well name and shame would be one move.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ask for details of their in-house complaints procedure. I expect you'll have to complete that before taking it further.

Good luck!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family