Which console? Xbox one or PS4

Options
I have been gaming for many years, going back to the Atari VCS, Amiga 500, Amiga CD32, PS1, Gamecube and currently XBox 360.

A lot of the new games coming out like Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront etc, are only on the new generation, so wil probably have to move sometime soon. As I am not brand loyal, I decide upon factors like price, game quality, online access, games availble. I don't care if you pause a game and take a magnifying glass out you can see one console will b slightly blurred compared to another. When you are playing, the minute details are all a blur as you should concentrate on gameplay.

Just want to know if anyone who has got a PS4 or Xbox One what they think about their console, what you like, what you don't like and what you generally feel about your experience.

Hopefully your helpful personal experiance will help me make my choice as to which console to buy next.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 July 2015 at 3:04PM
    Options
    As you currently have a 360 you don't need a new Xbox account as it covers both consoles, oh and this month the free game for Gold subscribers is Assassins Creed Black Flag so log onto xbox.om and download the game for the One so when you sign into the console it starts to download.

I like you can add extra storage for games, can also play other media eg films etc you have downloaded. If you have a tablet you can turn it on via the app, might even be able to do it via the phone app. You can turn the console on by voice so say "Xbox On" and it will turn on or say "Xbox go to Netflix" are just 2 examples you can use.

Then there's the BC (Backward compatibility) option that's on its way.

What else would you like to know ?
  • Sheepster
    Sheepster Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Problem with such a question is, there are some so called "fanboys" who are quite aggressive when posed with such a question.

They need ignoring.

Anyway, perhaps I can help give an opinion, and others will give their opinions.

I've owned both, but I didn't keep the PS4 long. A friend wanted to buy it and I agreed and bought an Xbone instead.

They both have good and bad points - however most of the bad points are very minor on both consoles.

The PS4 controller is very comfortable. The Xbone has just been improved. PS4 has bad battery life to be honest, it has to be plugged in a lot. Xbone uses batteres or plug and play just like the 360. Just buy rechargable or a plug and play - it's cheap enough.

PS4 has a sexy shape and it's small. Xbone is a lot larger, looks like an old VCR and has a separate power brick. On the flip side, the Xbone is whisper quiet and doesn't overheat, the PS4 can be noisy as it's prone to getting hot and the fan kicks in, it's not so bad but you need to ventilate it, don't put it in a tv cabinet.

Both you to be honest probably need fast internet or fibre. Stick a game in and it always needs an update of 5GB or higher. Just put one in tonight and been told I must do a 15GB download to play it. On slow internet, this IS a nightmare. It's bad enough on fibre!

Things get a bit strange, when you realise you can get games cheaper on Xbone. A site like CDKeys has nearly all their bargains on Xbone, and Xbox live can be got from there a lot cheaper - around £20. Never heard of PS+ discounted and you'll pay over £30 for this. No biggie over a year though.

The games you get free with your online subscription - well they're not giving anything amazing away obviously. Both are a bit rubbish, PS4 get more but they're indie games which look like they should be on a phone and sometimes one decent AA one, Xbone is usually derisory but this month Assassins Creed Black Flag is given away - not bad but you can get it cheap anyway.

Overall cost, well the Xbone is cheaper - period. You'll also have a much better chance of getting games in a bundle. A recent package I saw for £310 had an Xbone, with the brand new Batman game, a copy of the Witcher 3, a free copy of Ori and for an extra £20 you could get a top level game such as Elder Scrolls online.
    Sell the Batman game if you didn't want it and you'd get £35 at CEX - so the console cost £275 with games worth just short of £60 new now.
    Best deal for the PS4 I saw was £300 (Well £299.99 if you want) for a console with Batman, no other games.

Then - which exclusives do you fancy? There's some amazing releases due for the Xbone in Autumn, the best PS4 exclusives look like they're next year, but of course there's always cross platform.
    Come Autumn you'll be able to play many 360 games, so you can catch up with those you've missed very cheaply - or just keep the 360 and play them now. Not as useful perhaps as MS thinks.
    What IS going to be useful and potentially game changing is the update to the new Direct X and Windows 10, though who knows how much.

The biggest question to ask - which console do your friends have. That really is the only question you need to ask, the difference between the two is so minimal.

I personally prefer the Xbone. It's cheaper, the games can be got cheaper, from what I'm told the online community seems a bit more fun and I guess I just "get" it more.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with the PS4 though at all, incredible piece of kit
  • chippy2u
    chippy2u Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have both but prefer the ps4 to the xbox1.
  • DCFC79
    Options
    A question to ask is do you know anyone who has either console ?

Id buy whichever 1your friends have so you can join in the game with them.
  • PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sekrapa wrote: »
    As I am not brand loyal, I decide upon factors like price, game quality, online access, games availble.

Is there a specific reason you won't go for PC, then? It's the lowest cost, highest game quality, unrestricted online access, and the number of games available outnumbers either the PS4 or the One by roughly 1,000 to one. Factor in controller choice and the fact that it does one or two other things as well, and it's almost a no-brainer (but then, if you were intending to join friends on their system, you wouldn't need this thread asking which system!).

If for some reason you're brand-loyal to console for gaming (?), like Sheepster says, the One has a lower cost, and the backwards compatibility could be great even if you have a 360 - I'm looking forward to seeing if some of the best games of last generation like RDR, Resonance of Fate, Dragon's Dogma, Vanquish and Nier get a boost from the One.

Otherwise the PS4 and One are largely indistinguishable - although I think the PS4 has the only decent exclusive at the moment, Bloodborne. (Of course, if it'll be your primary system, "exclusives" won't matter as you'll be playing all the multi-platform versions of games, too!)
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 4 July 2015 at 4:15PM
    Options
    When debating it, don't forget to, "PLEASE PASS THE BUTTER!". :p
  • sekrapa
    sekrapa Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

To clarify some of the points raised. I have a fast connection, Virgin 100mb averaging out at 85mb everynight. The console will do in a TV cabinet, closed at the back apart from a large hole the leads go through but the front doors will be left open when on (as currently do with my 360). My friends online mostly have the 360, one has a PS4, others are looking at the PS4, but as we rarely get online at the same time now due to family and work commitments, having the same system is not really a deal breaker like it was years ago. I have a iMac as my main computer, and have no more room for another PC, so tend to go for consoles with games. I can play it on the main TV at night when everyone has gone to bed sitting in a nice comfy sofa, feet up with a drink at my side.

Looking from what has been said so far, looks like the Xbox One is looking the best option so far, as it is less prone to getting too hot, quieter, cheaper to buy and cheaper to get games for.

What is it like for playing Blu-Ray films? Anyone tried it, that way I could fress up a HDMI slot killing 2 birds with ne stone.
  • DCFC79
    Options
    It plays fine for blu ray tbh, you might find yourself investing in a remote as I find I forget which button is pause etc.
  • PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sekrapa wrote: »
    I have a iMac as my main computer, and have no more room for another PC, so tend to go for consoles with games. I can play it on the main TV at night when everyone has gone to bed sitting in a nice comfy sofa, feet up with a drink at my side.
    Eh? Do you mean no more physical room? A mini-ITX PC can be roughly the size of an Xbox One - and if you really were space-limited to that degree, the Xbox One wouldn't be a feasible option for you. PCs connect to a TV via HDMI, like an Xbox One. It can be controlled by a joypad, like an Xbox One - in fact, if you demand that it must not be controlled by wireless keyboard and mouse at any time, just borrow the keyboard/mouse from your iMac for its initial setup, and throw it into Steam Big Picture mode (set up to begin automatically on Windows startup). Then you can control it with nothing more than a 360 controller (or any other controller you prefer) for the rest of its life. (The upcoming Steam Controller might be a brilliant option for controlling the whole Windows environment from the sofa, but it's too early to say this with certainty.)

I'm a huge gamer - I don't care about the platform, I love my DS games, PSP games, Android games, Nintendo games, Xbox games, Playstation games, PC games and even analogue games like pool. From what you have said, if you're not being brand-loyal to "consoles", a PC is exactly what you want. Is it possible you just haven't looked at PC gaming in the last 10-15 years?

(Don't let your iMac experiences put you off! ;))
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • Kinty
    Kinty Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    As a gamer who played on xbox for some 10 years I am so glad I went over to the PS4
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure