PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Management Company

Options
I hope someone can help.
We have contacted our hopeless crooks of a management company several times.
We first contacted them 2 months ago saying we need to sell out flat by the end of this month so the certificates we need off them are important.
They reply slowly, never reply with anything we asked them for etc. Now they are trying to charge us 4x the price because we need them quickly.

We have given plenty of time for them to send the certificates and we don't think its acceptable that they are now asking for more money because of their total lack of competence.

Is there anything we can do? Can we report them for bad practice?
I know these are companies that need to make money but charging us £400 to send a piece of paper surely is illegal.

Comments

• AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suspect not; as my namesake and others said when you asked a similar Q in August, it's down to Hobson's choice.
    ( sorry about that; couldn't resist it! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobson%27s_choice)

Let's hope that your next purchase is either freehold, or if leasehold, doesn't involve a cheating bedsted of an agent or a capitalist b'sterd of a Freeholder who grinds the faces of the serfs in their leaseholds.

Too late for you now; but as I've said in previous posts, I've avoided leaseholds where there is the potential for exploitation, and have done basic research on the freeholder before buying. In fact, in consequence, I've only ever gone either for so-called "shared freeholds" where the Freehold is a non-profit compnay, with the leasehold owners as Members or Directors of the Freehold Company (I've owned three over the years). Or, local authority freeholds, because in my lucky experience or 2 BTL flats they have been efficient and reasonable.

A quick google of the Freeholders of one place I was considering revealed an unsuccessful "Right to Manage" court battle and when I rang 'em up they were too rude to speak to me without a solicitor's letter and a fee. So I walked away

Better luck next time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport