CH: Orange phones too good to be true?

Options
Have had a letter and an enthusiastic phone call from a company called The Communications Centre today. They are offering CHARITIES free handsets, free 12 months line rental, and free inclusive minutes - 400 per month for the first 6 months and 60 per month for the next 6 months. Charges for calls above that are at Orange's normal business tariffs.

Reading what they've faxed me, the total cost of this is £288.48 plus VAT. It seems we will be paying a monthly bill, Orange will credit £80 on the second month's bill, and this Communications Centre mob will pay us £208.48 if we invoice them within 30 days of receiving the phones.

All we have to do is pay the VAT on the line rental as we're not VAT registered. Just under £50.50. That's assuming they pay the invoice we send them, and they don't make excuses for not paying it and say we didn't send it in time / they didn't get it / it doesn't have all the information they need ... or they just go down the tubes because this offer really is too good to be true!

Where are they making their money? How can I check them out? Has anyone ever heard of them or had dealings with them?

Waiting with bated breath ...
Signature removed for peace of mind

Comments

• heleen
    heleen Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry you haven't had any replies on this. I guess that means no-one else has come across it (I haven't). That should either make you think that:
    - it's such a great deal there are only a limited number of people they've given it to
    - it's a scam.

Sorry not to be able to help more!
    I love it when a plan comes together :rotfl:
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks DutchGirl!

It is only aimed at charities, probably charities already using Orange mobiles, which cuts it down a bit. And their letter says the offer closes 31 July. The enthusiastic caller offered me references from other charities already on the scheme, he said using their 400 free minutes (cross-network as well!) instead of their landlines, which would certainly be the only way we'd use 400 minutes on a mobile!

Even if it's a truly great but limited offer, I fear there is still a danger of them going down the tubes without paying their debts: after all, if I took them up on this I would order 5 phones, so would be invoicing them for £1000+. How many people can they afford to pay £1000 to?

Plus it occurred to me afterwards, I have just registered the work phone with the TPS. I know it takes 28 days to filter through, and we're still within that period, but anyone phoning me when they shouldn't be is suspect!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • heleen
    heleen Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    You need to get the offer in writign or no-go.
    I love it when a plan comes together :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport