IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Motorway Services PCN - I paid for extra parking!

Options

Comments

• DollyDee_2
    Options
    Motorway Service Area - complain to the manager at Welcome Break, Gretna or Head Office.

How much did you pay?
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MSA = Motorway Service Area

ie:- Welcome Break or whoever has the MSA contract
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    My take on the charging is that 14 hours costs more than 12 hours. l
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well I'm confused and that's exactly how they want you to be:

https://www.welcomebreak.co.uk/about-us/parking/
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Consumer contracts law (or case law) states (in paraphrase) ... if the terms of a contract are not clear and unequivocal and can be construed in more than one way, the way that is most beneficial to the consumer will prevail.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 26 August 2016 at 7:51PM
    Options
    Motorway Services have to offer all vehicles at least 2 hours free, according to the mandatory terms set by the Dept for Transport. They cannot just decide that they won't offer that mandatory 2 hours rest to people who stay longer because that would be against the Government policy which applies to ALL (which is not just guidance):

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/237412/dft-circular-strategic-road.pdf

Mandatory:
    ''Free parking for up to 2 hours minimum for all vehicles permitted to use the road served by the facility''

PARKING CHARGES
    B19.''At all types of site, where a charge is to be levied for parking beyond the
    mandatory two free hours, the charging regime must be clearly displayed
    within both the parking areas and the amenity building.
    Drivers must at all
    times be afforded the opportunity to pay the charge on the site, before leaving
    and without the necessity to use a mobile phone. Cash payments must be
    accepted.''

There was a public consultation in 2010 as well, which annoyingly I only saw after the public consultation period had ended and after the BPA had put its foot in with a big, heavy stamp. The most alarming issue was that (quite rightly) the recommendation of the original report circulated for comments included a clear statement that 'parking charges should be able to be paid retrospectively' (like the Dartcharge). The author of the DFT consultation had also written that it was wrong that drivers who stop to rest, should be penalised at all (paraphrasing).

Fast forward to the conclusion of the public consultation and that had gone, as had the idea of drivers being able to pay the fee retrospectively.

That is how this industry works = clobber the public and lobby the Government to ensure their cash-cow industry carries on sloshing around in the money from innocent, law-abiding drivers ripped off, day in, day out.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • DollyDee_2
    DollyDee_2 Posts: 765 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So how much did you pay?
  • Scraplet
    Options
    Thanks for all the useful replies, everyone.
    DollyDee wrote: »
    So how much did you pay?
    Just checked. They took £10.20 according to my bank statement, but I'm sure that's not the published price on their sign (which in my memory was £12, but can't be sure), and it is totally at odds with the prices in the link Fisherjim posted. (thanks for that! ;-)
    ... can you post redacted copies of what you've sent to PE? The wording will determine whether the driver has been identified. As above, as the event was in Scotland then POFA does not apply, so if the driver is not identified then PE will have a struggle.

Here what I wrote in the comment box of Parking Eye's online 'appeal' proforma.
    After first letter:
    "Shortly after driving onto site we purchased the parking for a 12 hour stay, following the instructions on the car park signs. The signs clearly state that there is two hours of free parking, so we were well within the paid-for parking time on site. I have checked my bank statement and a payment was taken by Parking eye Ltd on the 14/06/16.

Why has your system not acknowledged the payment made?

While on site, we spent around £70 on food, drink, and other items, and this is in addition to the parking fee which we paid to you.
    I am disappointed to be treated in this manner when I am a paying customer and have followed instructions to the letter. I am minded to make a complaint directly to Welcome Break. As the landowner, they may wish to know that your system and approach is likely to put-off future custom."

After the second letter:
    "As you are "unable to confirm that any additional parking was purchased", I attach a copy of my bank statement. I am unhappy doing this, as you have demonstrated that, as a company, you are not competent to handle sensitive data. For this reason I have redacted any unnecessary information. You can clearly see the payment to 'Parking Eye Ltd', and the multiple purchases made from on-site vendors, totaling £75.07.

I will be complaining directly to Welcome Break about this matter."

Opinions? have I been outed!

In the meantime, I think I will try writing directly to Welcome Break, both at the branch and their head office, as suggested. They have ignored my email, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and send some old-fashioned snail-mail letters!

Should I contact Parking Eye again, just to make it clear that I do not accept their decision?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 26 August 2016 at 7:59PM
    Options
    Opinions? have I been outed!

Not at all, you did a good thing and wrote 'we did this' which is a recommended way to appeal which does not suggest who was driving. Far better than the MSE 'fight parking tickets' article 'appeal template' which still has this awful line: 'the reason why I parked as I did was...'*!

Should I contact Parking Eye again, just to make it clear that I do not accept their decision?

Yep and you could say you are aware that the POFA 2012 does not apply to land in Scotland, so as keeper, you cannot be held liable.

As for WB, email or phone them using the details given for that Services, they all have a webpage per site and it always gives a contact email & phone number. Try to get a Manager and if fobbed off, insist the complaint is escalated higher within WB and make sure they look at your receipts and proof of actually paying the parking fee.

*to be fair, MSE Megan has just asked me for comments (ironically while I was PPR'd temporarily!). I have MSE's email addy having talked to them about certain 'things' so they contacted me that way. I hope the article and template appeal MSE supply will be further tweaked soon.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure