PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi got a bit of cooking planned today...making stock for starters to turn into soup tomorrow also need to sort out the tea as ds is rushing out tonight....thought i might make a big pan of chilli with a view to freezing it in portions as thought this might save a bit of time some evenings

off to do a shop tomorrow but that will hopefully be it for the week
    take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Natterjack88
    Options
    My first day of the challenge today! And Im determined to finish it (I never have before!) Going to try and buy what we need for the week and not step back in MrA! Also need to look at putting a spreadsheet together and do an inventory of the cupboards and freezer. Would be nice to do a meal plan but we are so used to having what we 'fancy' although we are getting better at using to what needs using! Just a quick question...where do people buy their potatoes from? We tend to stick to Asda as its round the corner but oh my days the quality is as bad as the price! Think I'll take a trip to lidl for the fruit and veg instead??
    £20 a day April 2014 £834.87/£600 :j
    £20 a day May 2014 £108.45/£600
  • ButterflyBee
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I must share the following with all my friends! Yes it is possible to live on as little as +/- £7.00 a week (well for all the serious savers) :T

Off course this is not a long term solution but when the going gets really gets tough do have a look at the following suggestions. I sure am going to follow and use their advise. :T

MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Home & Play > Old Style MoneySaving > £7.00 per week - menu ideas
    Return and Restart August 2016
    22 Months to be debt free Aug2016 £12971.00:p:o:p By Jun2018
    PAYDBX2016 #155 = £2268.93/£3414.93 00% paid
    UK Debt #00 = £9857.23/£13039 6% paid
    EmSavFund #204 = £85.00/£1000 6% paid
    Mortgage #00 = £183084/£183093 00% paid
  • Sazdaz
    Sazdaz Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I would like to be put down for £30 this month, as run down the freezer almost, so going to finish that and then defrost it as making awful noise. Also got quite bare cupboards.

Decided I wanted to try and make my own bread but there is so many receipes out there not sure where to start. I dont have a bread maker and dont really want to spend any money on one at the mo.
    APR NSD - 0/10
    Paid off in 2013 so far £125.00
    April Money made - £18.00
  • mrsdwhite
    Options
    Had a busy weekend spent doing a full inventory of my cupboards, fridge and freezer for the first time! Also, last night I sat and wrote a meal plan for the week using my inventory and doing my online shop accordingly. This meant that I have only bought what I need for the meals for the week plus fruit and milk :T There's a first time for everything! :p
    This week's spending was £47.60 which comes in just under my £50 budget, annoyingly it could have been slightly less as I know I could have got some things cheaper from As*a than Te**o but couldn't get a del slot for them today :(

Off to update my inventory...:)
  • welshdreamer71
    Options
    Hiyas can I be put down for £300 January was a nightmare month with the snow son off school us off work so extras spent, but ready to get back on track now x.
    2 week 5:2=5.5lb off.
  • Princess_nola1
    Options
    Just spent another £13.60 so brings my spend to £72.72.
    When it's dark, look for stars. When it's raining look for rainbows.
    DFW - Tesco CC: [STRIKE]£3149.71[/STRIKE]£0! Capital One CC:[STRIKE] £2242.01[/STRIKE]£0! :T Overdraft: [STRIKE]£283[/STRIKE] £0! :T
  • SilverBird_2
    Options
    I'd like to return to the GC after being absent for a while.

So, for February my GC budget will be £250.

This is for myself and DH, the dog and visiting family, to cover both food and non-food items.
    #Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain #We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us #If you focus on what you have left behind, you will never see what lies ahead - Gusteau/RatatouilleGC 2022: £0/£2,500 total spend
  • liz-paul
    liz-paul Posts: 899 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - am still in January thread but can you put me down for £400 in Feb please? Should be plenty but need to stock up a little after my tight (insert rude word here) January :D

Thanking you! Heres to coming in on/under budget every month in 2013 :beer:
    1% at a time no. 40. £8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
    MFW 2013 no. 62 £10,000/£10,000
    MFW 2014 no 62 £8000/£7000
  • Milly-Ann-Molly
    Options
    I am liking the idea of meal plans and inventory of the food stocks. You all inspire me...I have LOTS of christmas food left over and jars of sauces / dried packet foods etc...my freezer is permanently heaving and so over full that I cannot freeze dying veg or excess cooked meals...and it hasnt been defrosted in 6 years! I will spend february emptying it (one draw is full of just bananas, cranberries and blueberries! - none of which we eat - veg box leftovers!) and I am now going through the recipe books (of which I have loads) and going to try to avoid meat and veg shopping for a few weeks...Fingers crossed it works.
    Make £/day March: £1490.85 / £310
    Quidco £3,143.16 NSD Mar:14
    2024 Road Kill £1
    March Sales of Excess £240.85
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business