Holiday recommendations for a young(ish) couple in June

Options
I am looking to go away in June this year, I normally have everything already booked well in advance but due to other factors this hasn't happened this time round.

I am going away during the World Cup, and being a bit of a footie fan would like to go to a 'football friendly' nation where I can be sure all the World Cup matches will be available to watch at pubs/bars etc.

My girlfriend is coming with me so would like to be able to go somewhere that has a lot to do for most couples (we are both in our early 30's). We don't want crazy loud places like Ibiza but we don't want someplace really quiet that is full of old people (somewhere in the middle).

I'm just looking for advice (ideally from other couples) - I do not have any budget or particular region, just warm weather and someplace english speakers are welcomed :D

I know it isn't much to go on, I am just looking for some ideas really - thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Blue264
    Blue264 Posts: 1,570 Forumite
    Options
    I was in Italy when the European Championship was on back in the 90's and it was fantastic. Funny thing was all the hotel staff cheering every time tv camera showed Collina (the legendary Italian ref). Also found that many of the bars in Athens and some Greek Islands show the ITV live footage of European club matches.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Las Vegas can be all of the above
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 9 April 2014 at 11:50AM
    Options
    How about a US road trip? There are loads of possibilities of course, ranging from the standard Los Angeles-Pacific Coast Highway-San Francisco-Yosemite-Death Valley-Las Vegas-Los Angeles loop (and nothing wrong with that of course, except that I'd suggest extending it to include Zion and Bryce Canyon if possible) to something more adventurous such as Arches and Canyonlands, Durango and Mesa Verde. There's a large number of US road trip videos on YouTube, for example Phil, Emma and Ben's California Road Trip 2013:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLb-8Gy55ZLXaVGaWY3_O_KUo2H5cgmb7P

Sorry, I'm not up-to-date with how much World Cup coverage will be available on US television, but perhaps it might be feasible to view it on a laptop or tablet via motels' free wi-fi.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • photome
    Options
    John259 wrote: »
    How about a US road trip? There are loads of possibilities of course, ranging from the standard Los Angeles-Pacific Coast Highway-San Francisco-Yosemite-Death Valley-Las Vegas-Los Angeles loop (and nothing wrong with that of course, except that I'd suggest extending it to include Zion and Bryce Canyon if possible) to something more adventurous such as Arches and Canyonlands, Durango and Mesa Verde. There's a large number of US road trip videos on YouTube, for example Phil, Emma and Ben's California Road Trip 2013:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLb-8Gy55ZLXaVGaWY3_O_KUo2H5cgmb7P

Sorry, I'm not up-to-date with how much World Cup coverage will be available on US television, but perhaps it might be feasible to view it on a laptop or tablet via motels' free wi-fi.

Thats why i suggested Vegas, as there will be plenty of world cup coverage, but not so sure there would be on a road trip
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Thats why i suggested Vegas, as there will be plenty of world cup coverage, but not so sure there would be on a road trip
    Fair enough, good point, and of course it would be entirely possible to have trips out from Vegas if so desired, either as day trips or involving overnight stays.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 April 2014 at 4:55PM
    Options
    Bit difficult to advise given the vagueness of the opening post, but the Meditteranean area seems the obvious option. All countries are football mad and cafes are everywhere. The atmosphere is great for the big games! Avoid the obvious resorts and there is plenty of culture and the locals will be very welcoming.

I'd have thought America would be the last place to go if you want to watch the World cup, its pretty much the only part of the planet where there will be low public interest! Sure, you'll be able to see the games if you make the effort but you won't get any atmsophere.
  • photome
    Options
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    Bit difficult to advise given the vagueness of the opening post, but the Meditteranean area seems the obvious option. All countries are football mad and cafes are everywhere. The atmosphere is great for the big games! Avoid the obvious resorts and there is plenty of culture and the locals will be very welcoming.

I'd have thought America would be the last place to go if you want to watch the World cup, its pretty much the only part of the planet where there will be low public interest! Sure, you'll be able to see the games if you make the effort but you won't get any atmsophere.

I agree really, Although Vegas is different to the rest of the USA so I did post it a little toungue in cheek, it does fit all the other requirements though,

I also agree that the Op was way to vague
  • Obviously_the_best
    Options
    Puerto Del Carmen in Lanzarote.

Costa Adeje in Tenerife.

Torremolinos on the Costa Del Sol.

Paphos in Cyprus

Somewhere on Crete

The list goes on and on. Try talking to someone in a Thomson shop, even if you don't end up booking through them (though their service is pretty good) they'll be able to give you some good ideas and pointers.
  • deva
    deva Posts: 935 Forumite
    Options
    We did Olympics in Andalusia and the World Cup would be great there as they are football mad.

Loads of flights to Malaga, then bus to the east for Nerja would be my advice. Enough bars with sport on but still possible for a Spanish time and lots of free tapas with your drinks. Also a couple of bars til the early hours
  • apesxx
    apesxx Posts: 583 Forumite
    Options
    We went to Kos town back in June 2006 when the World Cup was on :-) had a fab time and the atmosphere in the bars when the footsie was on was brilliant x if you wanted a nice quiet meal by the harbour it was lovely but there was also bar street with bars and a club if you wanted a more lively night x one of my fave holidays that one :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure