German Christmas market.

Options
I suspect Mrs ohreally is going to start making noises to visit a German market. I notice most cities & large towns have them, recommendations are welcome. Only stipulations are it should be easily accessible from a German airport (I really wish to avoid traveling on arrival as I travel lots in my day job), and accessible from a Scottish airport route.

I'm happy to consider other countries if required.

Over to you guys.
Don’t be a can’t, be a can.

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Perhaps you would do better to post your question on the overseas holidays and travel planning board?

Loads of german stalls at the Lincoln Christmas market- but that's not quite an answer!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Just take her to the nearest Aldi or Lidl.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Any major German city with an airport will have German markets. I'm headed to Berlin this year.
    Dusseldorf was nice (and has worlds longest bar street!) and Munich has its own charm.
  • lollipopsarah
    Options
    we went to Brussels last december it was amazing
    lovely atmosphere and stalls around even side streets
    the light show on the church was magic
    We went on a night ferry and then got a train which was a bit expensive but it made it a special adventure for us
    best wishes xx
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 October 2017 at 11:09AM
    Options
    Munich is splendid IME - Starts the moment you get out of the airport with a surprisingly good/chilled little market and there is a large swathe of markets right through the city centre, from just beyond the Hauptbahnhof down to the main one in the Viktualienmarkt which is open till the 6th of January - although the smaller markets do tend to close between christmas and new year in preparation for the Sylvester crowds.

All are very accessible by public transport too and there are many other things to enjoy. :)
  • zanuda
    zanuda Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ohreally you should really be more specific in your question. For example, Manchester "hosts" German Christmas market sometime in December. And it's in the City Centre. Would something like that work for you? Or you're asking about travelling to Germany on Christmas?!?
  • dotchas
    dotchas Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been to Cologne and Munich and Cologne was my favourite by far, very magical!
    :j I love bargains:j
    I love MSE
  • Whalie
    Whalie Posts: 209 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are in Scotland, Edinburgh has a Christmas market with plenty of continental stalls.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you decide on somewhere other than Germany, I suggest you give Bruges a wide berth.

Went last year and thought it was a load of old tat. There was hardly anything hand-made, except for some factory manufactured plastic baubles with glitter or feather stuck on by hand.

I was very disappointed. The best thing was the gluwein!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure