The ups, downs, and occasional sideways bits of trying to be mortgage free

Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    . I need a routine, but Flylady terrifies me

Flylady itself is hard work - have you tried the MSE weekly flylady threads? - friendly, and instead of a zone/ room a week, there's a room a day - and 3 levels of 'work' in it - if you only achieve level one that's still great. And if you want to work on a different room, that's also great. And if you do nothing you don't get moaned at - but can get support to cheer you along :)
    I'm not doing it this week as I'm working 'off list' as there are certain things I want/ need to get done which take priority. I'll be back to it next week though. It's very friendly and the lists are usually done by 2 mse members on an alternating week basis :)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Morning.
    Washing curtains can be a risky business.
    Depending on type and size and level of risk.

To machine wash (huge danger of shrinkage though) remove hooks or eyelets wash gently, spin very slowly, if at all and hang up to drip dry.

Dry cleaning at the laundrette is the most common way.

Or... put the 'low suction' nozzle on the vacuum cleaner and vacuum both sides. Then, if you've got a steam cleaner (for things like tiles) lightly steam clean each side of the curtain and leave open to dry.

Sometimes a spray with a fabric refresher spray (fabreeze is the brand name in the U.K.) is useful too.

It all depends on the size, dirt level and risk level you want to take.

My curtains have been up about 11 years, they get vacuumed about once every 6 months and steamed at the start of every winter (more to get the creases out of them as they've been in the tie backs all summer)

This is such a great thorough explanation, thank you! I used to just wash my curtains on a delicate cycle in my last house, but I never really liked how they came out and also ironing them was awful, so I haven't really done anything with the ones in this house ever (they've been up two years!). I am going to look into a steamer.
    greent wrote: »
    Flylady itself is hard work - have you tried the MSE weekly flylady threads? - friendly, and instead of a zone/ room a week, there's a room a day - and 3 levels of 'work' in it - if you only achieve level one that's still great. And if you want to work on a different room, that's also great. And if you do nothing you don't get moaned at - but can get support to cheer you along :)
    I'm not doing it this week as I'm working 'off list' as there are certain things I want/ need to get done which take priority. I'll be back to it next week though. It's very friendly and the lists are usually done by 2 mse members on an alternating week basis :)
    x

This post made a lightbulb go off in my head! Thank you. I have looked at those threads but I immediately feel intimidated at the idea of doing a thorough clean of a room every single day. I didn't know it was a different approach to official Flylady. Maybe I will dip my toe in and try for Level 1 this week and then see how I go from there. I am wary of trying to take too much on: I work a lot of hours as it is and I really need to focus spare time on building my business, but the grime is getting to me!

I am also really noticing how doggy my house smells - especially the lounge, where she sleeps, even though I bathe her and groom her regularly, vacuum often and use upholstery deodoriser. The previous owners sealed most of the windows shut, which doesn't help. Any other magical tips from you lovely lot?
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Oh, right, it's a money diary. Let's see. Well, the annual Emergency Services Levy came in today - $490, it pays for things like bushfire and storm responders, water rescue, that sort of thing - at which point I realised I had totally forgotten to budget for that in YNAB. So that was fun. It's not due until next month so I have skimmed tiny bits of money out of as many categories as possible to cover it, as well as sending a bit of October's income (the only bit I've received so far!) straight to it. I'll budget it monthly after October. Hopefully that's the last big expense I've forgotten about - YNAB is a learning curve!

I am also a little bit narked because I have needed a new phone for ages. Mine is an old iPhone 5c. The screen is badly cracked (still usable, technically, but a finger-cutting hazard!) and the battery drains within about an hour of usage. I want to go up to the SE. I held on until today because I was waiting for the new iPhone to be announced, on the basis that all the others would get cheaper. They have in the US, but not in Australia. Ludicrous. In fact, the SE has gone UP in price on the bargain site I've been eyeing off! $499. Which seems like a lot of money for a base model phone. Anyway, it's a minor vent but still very irritating.

Parent-Teacher night tonight and we'll be home too late to cook, so we're splurging on what the kids call a "platter dinner" - cheese and cooked chicken and dips and nice bread.
  • Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    We are forever getting caught out forgetting an obvious bill. Good to know that a bit of shaving here and a bit skimming there helped to make up the payment. Yep, YNAB is a learning curve.

About the phone. Do you have Black Friday in Australia? Perhaps you should wait until then? Everything gets a bit cheaper whilst they try to convince the populus that we NEEEEED this new item so they can make space for new stock. Great if you really do need a new phone!
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    I've been coping with a cracked screen for so many months, I just bit the bullet and bought a new phone. It really was a hazard every time I swiped! $550 (I went with official Apple supplier because of the warranty), but it's still cheaper to buy outright and pay for a sim-only phone deal at $30/month than go contract for $85/month. And phone is tax deductible legit business expense.

Waiting on a couple of rebates to come in and do more money shuffling. I think my favourite thing about YNAB is that it positively encourages fidgeting!
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning for no apparent reason, and now I'm hiding in my office sulking. It's cold, it's grey, the house next door is being demolished which is noisy, the dog did a wee on the upstairs carpet, none of these are why I am grumpy, I am just grumpy.

No money action today: I have skipped out on having coffee with a friend due to horrible bad mood, so that's a saving. I have just skimmed $14 off one of my YNAB balances (one that I have been slightly overestimating for ages so there's a bit more in there than I need) and transferred it over to the mortgage to see if that cheers me up.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,048 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I have a category on Spotify just for days like that - 'happy' music (if I can motivate myself to switch it on). If I tell you it includes Amarillo, you'll get the idea!

Now I've either sent you back under the duvet or off to turn the sound up!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    Chocolate.
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    The sun came out over the weekend and I feel much better now. Took Doggie on a two-hour trail walk yesterday which was quite satisfying.

Seems to have been a spendy weekend despite my best efforts. Lots of little housey things need buying: bird netting for the garden, replacement light bulbs for the kitchen, that sort of thing. Added up to $80, and we'd already maxed out the 'housey things' category balance because Mr E is building a new bookshelf for the lounge and bought lots of wood and whatnot. Lots of little red arrows on YNAB!

Spring weather means spring cleaning, and I did quite a lot of that. The house is too big and too old to be able to do a full house clean over a weekend so I'm taking an incremental approach: I decluttered the breakfast/craft/pantry room which gets all the girls' artworks and half-finished projects dumped in it, scrubbed some window frames (they all need sanding back and repainting, really, they're vintage and the paint is peeling everywhere and it's grimy), scrubbed the oven (also falling apart), did a deep clean of the lounge room sofas and upholstery...long way to go, but i do feel like I made some progress.
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    NSD yesterday, NSD today, except that I'm spending a lot of time on the phone to the bank because they keep messing up my paperwork and then charging me dishonour fees which I have to ring and get refunded. If I could invoice them for my time I would. So nothing to report on the money front. Sausages and mash tonight, and I'll make up a fish pie with the leftover cooked fish from Sunday and put it in the freezer.

Very satisfying phone call with business partner this morning and we've developed an excellent new strategy for business development. If only the demands of my other life didn't keep getting in the way: I had an hour long meeting with the Education Department today in my role as a school governor, then I had to do some errands at the post office, the dog needed walking - I need to treat my business like a real full time job, but then when do the other things happen? I need a wife, is what I need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family