Google Finance is under renovation.

Options
Looks like Google finance is going the way of the dodo. Any recommendations for alternatives?

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    yorkie3 wrote: »
    Looks like Google finance is going the way of the dodo. Any recommendations for alternatives?
    You mean the portfolio feature?
    There's no perfect free solution really. Depending on what's in your portfolio, sites like FT, trustnet, morningstar, ADVFN etc might help.
  • yorkie3
    Options
    Yes, the portfolio feature is being retired. Also, the charts use flash and crash regularly now. I wondered if anyone had a similar free site for quick stock prices, dynamic charts and portfolios.
  • Glen_Clark
    Options
    It was good whilst it lasted.
    I don't know of any others offering live prices for free
    All the other free services seem to be delayed by at least 15 minutes.
    (I use x-o - sometimes a share price in the portfolio valuation will be wildly out, but can always get the up to date price by clicking on it.)
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • Rollinghome
    Options
    It's an odd choice of words, "renovate" when it appears they intend to kill off the bit most users want. Apparently we're to be treated to a "new experience" - https://support.google.com/finance/answer/7534448

To add to the other suggestions, there's Yahoo Finance and HL offers real-time prices and is useful for ITs as it also charts the premium/discount, but I think you need to have an account to set up a "watchlist".
  • bowlhead99
    Options
    It's an odd choice of words, "renovate" when it appears they intend to kill off the bit most users want. Apparently we're to be treated to a "new experience" - https://support.google.com/finance/answer/7534448
    As a counterpoint, I visit Google Finance most days for general interest or to see some company-specific or markets news, and the portfolio feature is not the bit I most want at all.
  • Rollinghome
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    As a counterpoint, I visit Google Finance most days for general interest or to see some company-specific or markets news, and the portfolio feature is not the bit I most want at all.
    Ah, but you are famously eccentric. ;)
  • bowlhead99
    Options
    I use the site for news and financial information - quite normal behaviour :)

For tracking funds or stocks I own, my broker / platform will tell me what they're worth and what dividends they've given me, and I can track performance in a spreadsheet if I want calculations my platform doesn't provide. For stocks or funds which I don't own but would like on a 'watchlist', I can put them in a virtual portfolio on my platform's website or pop them into trustnet / morningstar / advfn etc as mentioned.
  • Rollinghome
    Options
    I do much the same except that I rarely use Google Finance unless I want a chart for a specific point to point rather than a set period to date as GF seems to be the site offering that. Otherwise, I'm more likely to use the sites they link to directly or do a specific Google search.

I'll judge their "new experience" when it arrives. I suspect it might give them a better way to monetise the service
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I find Trustnet very useful because of its good charting facility - you can plot the performance of your portfolio against indexes, funds or other portfoliosover any time period and also compare data during the standard performance periods (1,3,6 months 1,3,5,10 years and individual years). Morningstar gives access to the Xray facility for analysing the asset allocation of the portfolio.

It would seem that people wanting free access to more information such as share and financial data are going to be disappointed in the future. I had an email from the FT to say that their information of this type will be moved behind the paywall. If the FT can do it successfully I cant see other providers missing out.
  • Nerdlinger
    Options
    Yahoo Finance was my first point of reference before Google started with their free real-time prices, I've been back there today to update my shares portfolio, I think it's a much better service than Google but 15 minutes delayed. I always liked the historical data.

I have been using London Stock Exchange portfolio service to check all-important closing prices because Google Finance have always ignored these apart from the day's change but even that has been flaky on Google recently - alternating between changes from previous day's closing price and some arbitrary price. I probably won't need LSE so much if I go back to using Yahoo.

I could get real-time data from my broker's website but I like to monitor my portfolio without any 2-stage authentication etc. and I don't really really need real-time, I'm not Gordon Ghekko.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure