PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

making HM pasta

Options
124»

Comments

• pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi everyone, we love fresh pasta, and I've been wondering about buying a pasta machine as it must be a lot cheaper to make your own rather than buy, plus there would be no plastic bag to throw out (I try and keep my rubbish to a minimum) any fresh pasta lovers out there who can recommend one.

Thanks
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya :)

We have a thread on making pasta which also discusses pasta machines and so I've added your post onto it.

Posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read this one from the beginning.

Good luck :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • fairylights_2
    fairylights_2 Posts: 851 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for this - we've just got a pasta machine from Makro today (6.98+vat) and I'm planning on making pasta with no1 son - I hear it's a fun thing and he loves cooking.

The downsizer website looks great. Pasta for tea tomorrow night (woo hoo!)
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 002 :rotfl:
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Got oh a pasta maker for xmas, (OH's like Heston Blumenthal but sexier) whats the best flour to use? Do you have to use eggs? tel me your success stories!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Toxic_Lemon
    Options
    The best flour to use is Italian '00' flour available from Waitrose in a white paper bag.

There are a variety of recipes to use. I go for the simple one of:

150g '00' flour
    50g semolina
    2 eggs
    TL
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I should have bought him a bag of flour for xmas. The look on his face if he'd had that!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OH makes the pasta in our house ... he likes using the pasta machine :cool: Which is why he is also the breadmaker in our house. He swears by 00 flour .. it can be found in Mr T's, Asda and Sainsbury's (McDougals I think).
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    I use bread flour.I find any bread flour seems to work okay.
    Make the pasta dough in a processor if you have one.It is so much easier. To 11 and 1/2 oz of bread flour add one egg and mix,then add a little water a bit at a time until just sticking together and whizz into a ball.Divide into 4 and flatten.Roll through the pasta maker starting at widest setting and working down to finest.Then put through the cutters.You need to sprinkle flour on the dough between rolls.
    Wipe over the pasta maker when you have finished with an oiled paper towel.Don't immerse it in water,it will rust.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure