water softner help in chosing and is this true

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    gaschick wrote: »
    Thanks, the present softener isn't plugged in to the mains, so we seem to be quite limited in the choice of softener as the cheaper ones seem to be all electric.

The prices you mentioned seem extraordinarily high - is there no way you could fit one of the much cheaper electric models?

You could replace the resin, but at 12 years old I wouldn't recommend it. Even if the resin's replaced, something else is likely to go. New machine's best - but not at the prices mentioned.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You get what you pay for, I got a monarch Ultra Solo , it's non electric which is useful, but it's still way under 1k.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Doc_N
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    You get what you pay for.......

Not always, particularly with water softeners. Most people know very little about them, what they do, how they work, and how little they actually cost to manufacture.

And all that leads to smoke and mirrors claims, high prices and confusion marketing. Exactly as it has been with things like double glazing and solar panels.

There's no need to pay more than £450 tops for a perfectly good, very reliable softener for a large family. Pretty much the same model, from the same manufacturer, with a few minor variations, is sold however under a different brand name for £1200 through different channels. Someone will come to your house, maybe, with a glossy brochure, and he'll make a huge profit on the sale, but it will still in essence be almost the same softener that you could have bought for less than £450.

I discovered this the hard way, but it's a well concealed secret that the trade don't want you to learn. It's not a case of getting what you pay for - more a case of paying what the retailer can screw out of you because you don't understand the way the market operates.
  • csgohan4
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Not always, particularly with water softeners. Most people know very little about them, what they do, how they work, and how little they actually cost to manufacture.

And all that leads to smoke and mirrors claims, high prices and confusion marketing. Exactly as it has been with things like double glazing and solar panels.

There's no need to pay more than £450 tops for a perfectly good, very reliable softener for a large family. Pretty much the same model, from the same manufacturer, with a few minor variations, is sold however under a different brand name for £1200 through different channels. Someone will come to your house, maybe, with a glossy brochure, and he'll make a huge profit on the sale, but it will still in essence be almost the same softener that you could have bought for less than £450.

I discovered this the hard way, but it's a well concealed secret that the trade don't want you to learn. It's not a case of getting what you pay for - more a case of paying what the retailer can screw out of you because you don't understand the way the market operates.

Unfortunately that statement is only applicable for sub 1k models. I agree a lot of the softeners are rebranded, you could have Harveys model for example under a different brand. but the key is the specs and how efficient in using water and salt.

That was the purpose of this thread and a lot of people have already mentioned the specific specs of some of the more popular models which is why I chose my particular one.

Specifically I bought the softener independent from the installers from a plumbing merchant, that way rip off potential is lower
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Doc_N
    Options
    Another option for anyone wanting non-electric, then - and the price doesn't seem out of the way either.

Are you pleased with it? It's not a model I know much about, but your comments would make a useful addition to the thread.

Does it use block and tablet salt? Sounds a useful facility.
  • csgohan4
    Options
    the one I have used tablet and hence cheaper to buy to refill. I read all the pages before I made my decision to buy mine, seems to be the most efficient and in my price range for me.

Everyone is different and has different requirements so someone else may have their own opinion

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • cheap-information
    Options
    You won't go wrong with a Tapworks AD11

I did a lot of research before mine and it made the most sense, buy one and get it installed, only costs around £80 for labour unlike the branded ones which give an all in price. Cheaper salt also
  • cherylsurrey
    Options
    I also have the Tapworks AD11, it's been working well for just over 3 years, and I am very happy with it.
  • aamarsh
    Options
    I have a Twintec S1. Worked non stop for 14 years. Recently I notice a leak from the elbow of the drain pipe. Any DIY solution please
  • Lamy_2
    Lamy_2 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    I am thinking about getting either
    Tapworks AD11 or an Atlantis AT210
    I can't seem to find in the specifications whether either of them will impede water pressure?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback