Speeding

Options
I know it's bad and many of you will have little sympathy, I've been driving for a few years and have never been caught speeding. I was doing 41MPH in a 30-Zone. The letter notifying of indented prosecution says £100, however people are saying I'll get charged 100% of my weekly earnings under new rulings. Is this true? I really hope not with it been my first offence, was expecting £100 and a speed awareness course.

Comments

• Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    DavidWFC wrote: »
    I know it's bad and many of you will have little sympathy, I've been driving for a few years and have never been caught speeding. I was doing 41MPH in a 30-Zone. The letter notifying of indented prosecution says £100, however people are saying I'll get charged 100% of my weekly earnings under new rulings. Is this true? I really hope not with it been my first offence, was expecting £100 and a speed awareness course.

So what have you been offered? £100 and three point? If it's a fixed penalty the clue is in the name regardless of income.
  • Nearly_Old
    Nearly_Old Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If this the first NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) then at this point you have not been offered anything as this has been sent to the Registered Keeper who may / or may not have been the driver at the time of the offence. The important section is on the reverse side which is the S172 form to confirm the identity of the driver, when this has been completed and returned then the Conditional Offer letter will be issued.

For a 30mph limit the limits in the guidelines are as follows:
    Prosecution from 35mph (10% + 2)
    Speed Awareness Course (SAC) (if appropriate) 35mph to 42mph
    If SAC not appropriate £100 + 3 points Fixed Penalty up to 49mph
    Summons from 50mph

So you may well get the offer of a SAC at 41mph.
  • DavidWFC
    DavidWFC Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nearly_Old wrote: »
    If this the first NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) then at this point you have not been offered anything as this has been sent to the Registered Keeper who may / or may not have been the driver at the time of the offence. The important section is on the reverse side which is the S172 form to confirm the identity of the driver, when this has been completed and returned then the Conditional Offer letter will be issued.

For a 30mph limit the limits in the guidelines are as follows:
    Prosecution from 35mph (10% + 2)
    Speed Awareness Course (SAC) (if appropriate) 35mph to 42mph
    If SAC not appropriate £100 + 3 points Fixed Penalty up to 49mph
    Summons from 50mph

So you may well get the offer of a SAC at 41mph.

That's what I thought and expected but it really gets confusing online, as the new fines refer to a minimum fine of £100 or a percentage of your wage whichever is greater... Really worried as I financially couldn't afford to loose a weeks wages - feel like an idiot as I'm usually pretty good with limits.

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/motoring/cars/using/the-uks-new-speeding-fines-explained
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    That's what I thought and expected but it really gets confusing online, as the new fines refer to a minimum fine of £100 or a percentage of your wage whichever is greater... Really worried as I financially couldn't afford to loose a weeks wages - feel like an idiot as I'm usually pretty good with limits.

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/motoring/cars/using/the-uks-new-speeding-fines-explained

Nothing has changed besides the level of fines which can be imposed when an offence is taken to court. You will not go to court for 41mph in a 30 limit unless you refuse a fixed penalty.
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Has it arrived within 14 days of the alleged offence.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    was expecting £100 and a speed awareness course.
    If you get offered and accept a course, there will be no fixed penalty to pay. All that you have to pay is the cost of the course which varies depending on where you take it and will be somewhere in the region of £80 to £120.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

That article is.confusing and badly written, as you'd probably expect of an article which was knocked.out in 10 minutes and which exists solely to drive traffic to an insurer's website and so improve its search engine ranking.

The procedure is the same as it has always been - the vast majority of drivers accused of low.level speeding offences.are offered a speed awareness course or a.fixed penalty (£100 and 3 points, popularly known as a speeding ticket) as an alternative to.formal.prosecution in the criminal courts. You can expect an offer of a.speed awareness course at up to 42.in a 30 or a fixed penalty at up to 49 in a 30.(if in England or Wales).

If you didn't accept the offer for any reason, or.if you were a long way over the limit, then you would find yourself in front of the magistrates instead, and then and only then would the new magistrates sentencing guidelines come into play. Incidentally the new guidelines are not actually very different from the old ones.- 41-50 in a 30 has always been a band B fine (ie 100% of your weekly income)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure