We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Growing potatoes

Options

Comments

• sgun
    sgun Posts: 716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "Tatties for Tea" is a fab little book, given to me by a colleague in west Scotland. It gives you some idea about which ones grow well in Scotland but also some lovely recipes. We get ours from Ireland, no idea of the variety - possibly Kerr's Pinks but they are lovely, really traditional proper taste (we just go and dig them out from the farm). Our hand luggage is hilarious, no clothes, just spuds I can only imagine what it looks like on the x-ray thingy! Only drawback is they are prone to blight which is a big issue where I am in the NE of England so do think about that too.

The Tatties book suggests Lady Christl, Salad Blue, Highland Burgandy and Arran Pilot of you can't get hold of the others. Also Dunluce. You are in the best place for seed potatoes, many of the Scottish varieties are lovely.
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I never see anyone in the UK mention my favourite early potato.........British Queen, they are a lovely, floury potato which needs to be steamed as they will fall apart if boiled, same goes for Kerr's Pinks, mentioned above. As a maincrop I would recommend Rooster as a good all-rounder to bake, boil, steam, roast.

Good luck with your spuds Gers!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • lynsgarden
    Options
    My selection is Epicure, Duke of York, Sharpes Express, Setanta and also Sarpo Mira which is grown for blight resistant crops to store for winter, but all of the other varieties taste better imo.
    Have grown most of these for forty years, except for Sarpo Mira which I have only grown for the last five.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Potato Day 2017 in Glasgow is 26 February.

http://www.glasgowallotmentsforum.org.uk/Events/GlasgowPotatoDay.aspx

I'm going to go, even though it's my birthday, and get five different varieties to experiment with.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gers, you are correct that Epicure was one of the earlies grown for the Ayrshire potatoes trade, along with Home Guard, Duke of York or Red Duke. These came from the south Ayrshire/Girven coast area, which is probably a bit warmer than mid-Argyll. Other favourites of that era were the Arran varieties (Arran Banner perhaps being the best known, but also A.comet, A.pilot, A.Victory). For later cropping varieties, that your mum will remember, I would suggest Kerr's Pink, King Edward or even Golden Wonder. These need special care in the cooking, though!

British Queen and Catriona also have Scottish ancestry albeit bred for the Lincolnshire trade and would meet the old-fashioned taste for a floury but tasty potato.

Other old standards include Edzel Blue, Dunbar Standard or the Pentland series. Pentland Dell is probably the most floury, with Crown, Ivory, Javelin being much firmer.

If, in part, you want something that adds colour to the garden, then a profusely flowering variety like Maris Peer or (my favourite) Pentland Marble might be worth trying, if you can find them.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I grow new potatoes in 30 litre pots. I currently have chitting away "rocket" as last year got a good crop of new potatoes. For main crop I usually use Maris pipers in my allotment beds. I still have some of the spuds left from last year in a old potatoes bag I got from a chip shop

They taste so much better growing your own, and potatoes arent hard work once you bank the soil up they keep weeds down and also I find the break soil up as well
  • Gers
    Options
    Today was the day! I went to the potato day event to find the place heaving with people even before the doors opened.

Seems there were main crops and seconds downstairs and the first crops upstairs so I wandered (I mean struggled) through the crowds a couple of times to find what I wanted.

My purchases were one tuber of each for the following - Arran Pilot, Juliette, Epicure, Charlotte and Ratte along with a bag of five Anya for a friend. By the time I reached the place of Kerrs Pink Firs they were all gone!

I'm only doing five bags (eight litres each) and one tuber, no banking up just filling, plonking and covering. I'll get the tubers chitting now.

Fingers crossed! First time tattie grower... it'll be interesting.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    It's so easy and they taste so much nicer Gers. I canny plant mine until May up here, so I go for second earlies. That's what the old timers here told me to do. I didn't grow anything at all last year and really missed my wee tatties.
  • Gers
    Options
    My tattie plants are growing - enormously! Each one seems to have produced side plants, should I be cutting these off?

The leaves are being eaten by something even though I put down slug pellets. Is there anything else I need to do?

I've got the beginnings of flowers on three of the plants though with the dreadful rain we've had for most of the past month I won't be surprised if the crop fails. The flowers have been in fluffy bud for about three weeks.

I suppose I can just relax and let nature get on with it!
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds good, no need to cut any shoots off, keep checking for slugs, don't very often get anything else eating the leaves, they eat into the spuds as well in the soil.won't be far off being usable soon. Don't pull the whole plant , have a feel around under the plant and pick any that are big enough to use
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family