PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Early termination of tenancy

Options
Hello, I am hoping to get some advice on ending a tenancy early.

I have moved into a flat for over a year, many issues like mould and bad smell in a bedroom remains unresolved. It is managed by a letting agent. Over the past year, the communication with the letting agent has been high undesirable and frustrating (won't bore you with the details).

Recently got in touch directly with the landlord who agrees to terminate the agreement early before the fixed term ends provided that the letting agent agrees to waive the commission fees. But letting agent is not responsive.

What are my options? What would be my worse case scenario if I just walk out of the tenancy?

Thanks.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is the current status of your tenancy? Fixed term? Till when?

Worst case if you walk out is you get demands for rent till the fixed term ends, or indefinately if periodic. Followed by court claim.

Negotiate with landlord - he's the one who decides.

Is there a Break Clause in your contract?
  • antifox
    Options
    fixed term till 2017. landlord is reluctant if letting agent does not waive the commission fees. thanks.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Your contract is with the landlord, not the letting agency. The letting agency just acts on behalf of the landlord so have you discussed the mound, bad smells and other issues with him? Have you reported these issues in writing to the address for the serving of notices given in your tenancy agreement?

Is there anything you are doing to cause the mound such as not ventilating your home or heating it adequately? Do you dry clothes inside?

If you are taking the necessary steps to prevent the mound and other issues then follow Shelter's procedure for getting repairs done. Step 1, write a letter.

http://m.england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/repairs_in_private_lets
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Options
    The landlord can set whatever terms he wishes for you to leave early including paying readvertising fees etc. He seems to have made it more complicated by dragging the letting agent into it. The problem is the letting agent don't want to let you go and understandably don't want to loose their commission.
    Do you know what sort of cost the commission is? Normally people pay readvertising costs but you could suggest to the landlord you pay up to a certain date and whatever the agencies commission is? Would this work?
    Assuming you don't want to be pursued for unpaid rent ( potentially through the courts) then you can either go after the landlord to fix the issues or negotiate. Basically its whatever deal you can agree between you.
    Good luck
    Df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • princeofpounds
    princeofpounds Posts: 10,396 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Of course the letting agent is not going to waive any fees.

The letting agent works for the LL only anyway, so it's not as if you as a tenant have any leverage over them at all. If he wants the letting agent to charge less, he needs to be the one asking them.

Honestly, the simplest way to do this might be to pay the equivalent of the fees in return for early release. It might be what the LL is actually angling for anyway.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you checked for a Break Clause yet.....?
  • DMMEG
    DMMEG Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Hi. I signed a fixed term tenancy for 12 months in march 2017 (tenancy expiring in march 2018). There is no break clause in the contract. The property is rented to me via an agency. Unfortunately my work situation has changed and I will be unemployed from the 10th October. I need to end my tenancy on the 19th October ( the day the rent is usually paid/the day of the month I moved in) as I will be unable to pay rent thereafter due to lack of earnings. I wanted some advice on how to go about this:
    1. Should I send a letter addressed to the landlord c/o letting agency (as I have no personal contact details for them)?

2. Should I try and negotiate an early termination with the letting agent by writing to them first?

3. If the landlord refuses to let me terminate, do I have any other options?

4. If anyone knows of a template letter to send to the landlord, I would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction

Many thanks
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DMMEG wrote: »
    Hi. I signed a fixed term tenancy for 12 months in march 2017 (tenancy expiring in march 2018). There is no break clause in the contract. The property is rented to me via an agency. Unfortunately my work situation has changed and I will be unemployed from the 10th October. I need to end my tenancy on the 19th October ( the day the rent is usually paid/the day of the month I moved in) as I will be unable to pay rent thereafter due to lack of earnings. I wanted some advice on how to go about this:
    1. Should I send a letter addressed to the landlord c/o letting agency (as I have no personal contact details for them)?

2. Should I try and negotiate an early termination with the letting agent by writing to them first?

3. If the landlord refuses to let me terminate, do I have any other options?

4. If anyone knows of a template letter to send to the landlord, I would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction

Many thanks

You'd be far better to start your own thread ...

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 July 2017 at 3:02AM
    Options
    isplumm wrote: »
    You'd be far better to start your own thread ...

Mark
    they did, 3 minutes after posting here, and about 6 hours before your post. Hence their post count is now >1
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5679100
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport