£15K 0% purchases for a year but must be done in 2 months. Ideas?

Options
As title really.

Card has a £15k limit and it has a 12 month 0% offer on purchases but they must be made by the end of November.

I have 2 new 5% current accounts as has OH so I'd really like to use the cc and keep the equivalent amount in these accounts for a year, but I'm struggling to see how I can spend big in 8 weeks. (Never used to be a problem when I had more debt but I'm seriously into trying to make my money work harder for me these days. :cool:)

So far I have:

Fuel x 2 cars
Food shopping
Council Tax
Electricity Bill

Not a lot really.

Would Barclays accept a mortgage payment in advance for one month instead of the usual DD? I'm clutching at straws here.

Any ideas on how to spend legitimately (i.e. not bad debt) or how to utilise this offer to it's fullest would be good.
Herman - MP for all! :)

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Who's the card provider?
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mbna..........
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Drat! I was hoping you were going to say Tesco so you could exploit Sterling TCs.
  • aliasojo
    edited 2 October 2014 at 11:01AM
    Options
    Just wondering if I could/should buy multiple £50 Tesco Visa giftcards.

You get 150 points per £50 giftcard bought so the points would amount to a fair bit, especially if 'Boosted'.

The Visa giftcards could just then be used to pay for normal food shopping in Tesco over the next few months.

It's quite difficult trying to think outside the box and come up with ways to spend without debt. Iyswim.

Edit: Forget that idea. Just seen the small print. Each £50 card carries a £3.95 fee. Back to the drawing board.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    In terms of the tesco gift cards - if you intend to spend in Tesco then you don't need the VISA cards just a regular tesco giftcard, which as far as I can see has no fee.

Aside from that (or giftcards for other places you regularly shop), any friends/family members making large purchases who would pay you the cash and you buy on your card?

Some early christmas shopping in November that you would be spending the next month anyway? (not extra shopping of course!)
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • aliasojo
    Options
    Tixy wrote: »
    In terms of the tesco gift cards - if you intend to spend in Tesco then you don't need the VISA cards just a regular tesco giftcard, which as far as I can see has no fee.

Aside from that (or giftcards for other places you regularly shop), any friends/family members making large purchases who would pay you the cash and you buy on your card?

Some early christmas shopping in November that you would be spending the next month anyway? (not extra shopping of course!)

Tried asking family about purchases but no-one is spending right now and even if they were most are pretty clued up and have good cashback cards themselves.

I'll certainly be doing some Xmas shopping but it still wont be a huge amount. Every little helps though.

The regular giftcard don't have the bonus points on sadly. Still worth buying some, just a shame I couldn't gain the points too. :)
  • sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Be sure 'gift cards' do not come under the cash advace rules. I think they will be charged as such :-(
  • mrs_T
    mrs_T Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    Options
  • guesswho2000
    guesswho2000 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer
    Options
    sicker wrote: »
    Be sure 'gift cards' do not come under the cash advace rules. I think they will be charged as such :-(

Gift cards bought from Tesco will not, they'll be classed the same as buying milk, eggs, a TV or £1,000 worth of DVDs!
  • mgarl10024
    mgarl10024 Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just be careful with giftcards - as if the company went bust you may not be protected.
    Arguably a small risk with Tesco, but you never know!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure