Upvc door quote £950

Options
Looking for opinions here. I've had a quote for £950 for a upvc door. The door would be mostly glass as we would like the light to get in.

Looked at another company that quoted £500, but had terrible reviews online.

Dimensions are approx 84cm x 210cm.
Any advice? Thanks.

Comments

• thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    way to high no more than £600
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • User2
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I'll get another quote from another firm and hopefully they'll be closer to the £600 mark.
  • rabialiones
    rabialiones Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    why don't you go for composite, which imo may be stronger and look better and not much price difference?
    Nice to save.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've just ordered my new front door (thanks to the help of MSE People for their opnions)

We've gone for a composite front door with two glazed panels, and a fully glazed side light including fitting for £1200

Composite doors look so much better than uPVC!!! uPVC doors look cheap, they have no texture and you can see where they've just stuck trim on to make it look okay....composite the door is textured and solid
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    I've just ordered my new front door (thanks to the help of MSE People for their opnions)

We've gone for a composite front door with two glazed panels, and a fully glazed side light including fitting for £1200

Composite doors look so much better than uPVC!!! uPVC doors look cheap, they have no texture and you can see where they've just stuck trim on to make it look okay....composite the door is textured and solid

I do not mind what people buy - that is their choice. However nonsensical consumer comments such as this post do nothing to help people make informed decisions on where they should spend their money.

I have a upvc back door. It is in a different league for security, solidity, thickness, hinges, and locking mechanism to a typical composite door. It does not even have "stuck trim" as quoted by OP.

Composite doors are today's must have statement on a house but they are far from "solid" and far from secure. Given an accurate crystal ball to look 10 years ahead and countless composite doors will have been replaced because they are useless. Indeed thousands already have been - many local authorities and housing associations are fed up with replacing them.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The OP asked for advice about his quote for a PVC front door. The price he was quoted seemed quite high, high enough that he might be able to upgrade to a composite front door. My response was to give him my experience on researching and shopping around for front doors....your response was less helpful in just slagging off composite front door because they're the latest trend rather than offer him any advice at all :T

You may be opposed to composite front doors but there is enough research to show they are more secure, more energy efficient and overall look nicer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure