Being made redundant - unfair dismissal?

Options
Hi,

I have been working for a company for 6 years. Last Thursday, I was called into a meeting and informed that my job was at risk of redundancy and that I wasn't allowed into the office until the following Thursday (yesterday) for my first consultation meeting. The reason they gave for the redundancy is that business has declined.

Yesterday I went to the first consultation meeting and found out that I am the only proposed redundancy, my manager (the only other member of my team) is not at risk. The alternative employment they have offered me, is my basically my job but with a different title, 12k less pay and no sign off abilities. I have a professional membership and they said they wanted to employ someone without that and less qualified because it would be cheaper. I asked if they were actually just making me redundant, rather than the role as they made it clear that they would recruit for this role if I did not take it and they pretty much admitted it.

If this role that I've been offered is exactly the same as my job and if they are going to recruit for it, do I have a case for unfair dismissal?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Whalie
    Whalie Posts: 209 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Speak to ACAS to see if you have a valid case of unfair dismissal
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Luce1307 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been working for a company for 6 years. Last Thursday, I was called into a meeting and informed that my job was at risk of redundancy and that I wasn't allowed into the office until the following Thursday (yesterday) for my first consultation meeting. The reason they gave for the redundancy is that business has declined.

Yesterday I went to the first consultation meeting and found out that I am the only proposed redundancy, my manager (the only other member of my team) is not at risk. The alternative employment they have offered me, is my basically my job but with a different title, 12k less pay and no sign off abilities. I have a professional membership and they said they wanted to employ someone without that and less qualified because it would be cheaper. I asked if they were actually just making me redundant, rather than the role as they made it clear that they would recruit for this role if I did not take it and they pretty much admitted it.

If this role that I've been offered is exactly the same as my job and if they are going to recruit for it, do I have a case for unfair dismissal?

Thanks for your help
    But it isn't the same job, is it? It is a job that shares some work that is the same, but without the same level of responsibilities and therefore without the same professional qualifications. I'm afraid that in law that is a different job! The empire isn't doing anything underhand here. They have a need to cut costs, they have identified a way of doing this, and that means changing the structure of a job to save money. You are the only person doing that job ( it appears) and so there is only you that can be put at risk. The purpose of the consultation is to allow you to put any better ideas that you have, as well as to tell you what, if any, options you have.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Whalie wrote: »
    Speak to ACAS to see if you have a valid case of unfair dismissal
    ACAS are not lawyers, and nor are they allowed to advise someone on a case. That's not even starting to point out that half the time their advice is wrong!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure