MSE Poll: What will influence how you vote in the general election?

Options

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I'm amazed MSE haven't put closing tax loop holes as a reason for voting for labour?! That is my big deciding factor in voting for Corbyn who has promised to close the tax loop holes.

How come this hasn't been included as everyone I speak to is so angry that companies like Amazon, Boots, Vodaphone, Topshop, Daily Mail, Starbucks, etc - don't pay any tax at all. That is losing this country £billions every year, if not £trillions.

This infuriates me so much. Corbyn has promised to change the laws to stop this from happening. I'm not a fan of the conservatives who work for these companies and actually pay these companies £billions in subsidies - people are not aware of this. Look at how much is being given to rail networks as well. These are private companies who give money to their CEO - enormous bonus and shareholders rather than ploughing profits back into making the service better.

Come on people, vote labour, do the right thing please.
    Yeah right. Has he described exactly how he's going to do this? Closing "tax loopholes" is easy to promise, like "efficiency savings", but much harder to deliver. Every budget I've ever read from the Tories, Labour and the coalition promised to close loopholes and clamp down on evasion, most delivered nothing. Or closed one loophole opened another.

And it's far harder with multi-nationals, you can't close loopholes for multi-national companies without a multi-national strategy. Which Brexit will likely make far harder.

In some ways it's more economically sensible in the post-Brexit world to become almost a tax haven to encourage companies to invest here and produce jobs.
  • zagfles
    Options
    How about competance? That surely has to be a big issue - you can whatever policies you like, if you don't have the ability to deliver them what's the point? I have a personal policy to be a millionaire this time next year ;)

Mind you - you might struggle to vote for anyone this time on the basis of competance :(
  • shropshirelady
    Options
    For the first time in my life, I've considered not voting at all. I will vote, but it will certainly be tactical this time.
  • Jwwallman
    Jwwallman Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    There are a lot of people here voting tactically and millions of people nationwide who go completely unrepresented. Which leads me to the main issue I vote based on, voting reform.

I understand why this isn't listed as it's not an issue here as it isn't often discussed and when it is people take the view that nothing can be done. But the first past the post system is appallingly undemocratic.

What's the point on voting based on any issue if your vote doesn't mean squat?
  • zagfles
    Options
    Jwwallman wrote: »
    There are a lot of people here voting tactically and millions of people nationwide who go completely unrepresented. Which leads me to the main issue I vote based on, voting reform.

I understand why this isn't listed as it's not an issue here as it isn't often discussed and when it is people take the view that nothing can be done. But the first past the post system is appallingly undemocratic.

What's the point on voting based on any issue if your vote doesn't mean squat?
    Well quite, but we had a referendum to change to AV about 6 years ago, that was defeated.

The last election really showed what a farce the current system is. SNP got 56 seats with less than 1.5M votes, Lib Dems got just 8 with nearly 2.5M votes, and UKIP got just 1 with nearly 4M votes!!
  • XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The NHS is scoring highly. What do people want, more funding? I used to sympathise. But the NHS is it's own worst enemy.
    Doctors don't think they should have to pursue foreign patients for payment.., I bet they would if their salary was dependent on it!
    My father went to a pre-op lecture about a procedure he was going to have. Despite being perfectly capable of buying a meal at the hospital cafeteria he was provided with a meal. I suppose you could stretch the definition of patient to cover this visit. But my mother accompanied him, and she too was provided with a meal.
    I'm sorry, but the NHS clearly has plenty of money, just no budgetary accountability.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    Yes but there must be a reason they don't want that particular candidate to win, which is likely to be one of the reasons on the poll.

In the cases that I know about it has nothing to do with the candidate or any of the issues it is out of pure hatred for the party they hope to defeat in that constituancy.
  • Jwwallman
    Jwwallman Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Well quite, but we had a referendum to change to AV about 6 years ago, that was defeated.

The last election really showed what a farce the current system is. SNP got 56 seats with less than 1.5M votes, Lib Dems got just 8 with nearly 2.5M votes, and UKIP got just 1 with nearly 4M votes!!

While I'm pleased you agree with me the "but we had a referendum that was defeated" is exactly what I meant by the 'nothing can be done attitude'.

The fact we had a referendum isn't going to stop me being a single issue voter on this issue until something changes! Hopefully I can convince more people that this is the one issue worth basing your vote on.
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm amazed MSE haven't put closing tax loop holes as a reason for voting for labour?! That is my big deciding factor in voting for Corbyn who has promised to close the tax loop holes.

How come this hasn't been included as everyone I speak to is so angry that companies like Amazon, Boots, Vodaphone, Topshop, Daily Mail, Starbucks, etc - don't pay any tax at all. That is losing this country £billions every year, if not £trillions.

This infuriates me so much. Corbyn has promised to change the laws to stop this from happening. I'm not a fan of the conservatives who work for these companies and actually pay these companies £billions in subsidies - people are not aware of this. Look at how much is being given to rail networks as well. These are private companies who give money to their CEO - enormous bonus and shareholders rather than ploughing profits back into making the service better.

Come on people, vote labour, do the right thing please.

Really think your living in a different reality. Every company uses the tax system to their advantage. With the various write offs etc. As a company director if you don't you are putting yourself liable to not working in the companies best interest.

As above we can't act alone with multinational companies they can play the global system. Which currently London and the UK benefit greatly from. The city being on of the largest tax havens in the world. But likely with Brexit it's all about to go to pot.

For I've noting to vote for. Don't have a candidate I believe in couldn't vote Corbyn as most of his polices will bankrupt the country. May and Brexit will be a disaster. For me that leaves Farron or the fish finger. Farron is fairly safe so fish finger it looks like.
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Yeah right. Has he described exactly how he's going to do this? Closing "tax loopholes" is easy to promise, like "efficiency savings", but much harder to deliver. Every budget I've ever read from the Tories, Labour and the coalition promised to close loopholes and clamp down on evasion, most delivered nothing. Or closed one loophole opened another.

And it's far harder with multi-nationals, you can't close loopholes for multi-national companies without a multi-national strategy. Which Brexit will likely make far harder.

In some ways it's more economically sensible in the post-Brexit world to become almost a tax haven to encourage companies to invest here and produce jobs.

Closing tax loop holes is very, very easy. The same way the conservatives passed laws allowing loop holes, labour will reverse those laws by stopping all the easy steps dishonest companies are taking to avoid paying tax.

At present companies will pay to use an address abroad - many places are allowing people to do this, in the Isle of Man, the Netherlands and other similar countries with lapse tax laws.

Companies will not lose the chance to make so much money as they currently are doing, no way. Amazon makes £billions.

These same companies are also being given £billions in subsidies by the conservatives - our tax money, instead of being used on the NHS or education or care needs for those who are unable to cope with looking after themselves the cons choose to give £billions to rich companies who also are not even paying any tax.

Theresa May's husband works for a company that doesn't pay tax. This is the problem with the 1% - they are only looking after themselves, not the people who are paying tax or who need help, they are being ignored and deliberately left to rot.

Corbyn is the only leader who has given a fully costed manifesto - it's all available online. Labour know how to pay for their manifesto promises and have shown they can do it. It will not increase our debt nor will we, the people on lower pay, be expected to pay for it, like the lib dems are saying they will get the money!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure