PPI claim on Woolwich Mortgage

Options
Today I have received a letter dated 16th November 2017 from Barclays stating that Barclays were unable to find a PPI policy on my old Woolwich mortgage using the information provided. I had the mortgage number to which I had given them.

Then why on the letter dated ref the same sent initially on 16th October 2017 with regards to the same PPI complaint did the letter read in the what we already know section " OUR RECORDS SHOW THAT THE PPI POLICY WAS SOLD TO YOU ON 01 JANUARY 1993, AT THE TIME YOU WERE 28 YEARS OLD, THEN PLEASE CONFIRM YOU WERE A UK RESIDENT WHEN THE POLICY WAS SOLD TO YOU"

As clear as day that states it was found and even a date to back it up?

This does not bode very well as clearly the second letter is mistaken, at least contradicting?

If they are going down the time barred route the flat was sold in 1997 so any letter sent would not have got to me..

Any helpful advice would be immensely appreciated :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Give them a call to clarify.
  • magstar71
    Options
    Did call them and they referred to the final letter when I proceeded to reading out their first letter the advisor seemed to stumble and made up some excuse saying it may have been likely?. In my opinion a letter that reads an actual date with " Our records show that PPI was sold" to me do not seem likely these words seem to confirm it..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    magstar71 wrote: »
    clearly the second letter is mistaken
    Alternatively, the first letter is mistaken.

Only the Bank can tell you more..
  • magstar71
    Options
    A first letter with an actual date confirming PPI I would presume would not be the mistake..

Thanks anyway :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A first letter with an actual date confirming PPI I would presume would not be the mistake..
    Even though the date it was apparently sold to you was a Bank Holiday? ;)
  • magstar71
    magstar71 Posts: 53 Forumite
    edited 25 November 2017 at 10:05AM
    Options
    (Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

I am just STATING what Barclays had written in one of their contradictory letters, as this is what the post is about.

I was just wondering if anyone had a similar situation I suppose and see what the outcome was.. In the end it would be the FSO I suppose. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

I am just STATING what Barclays had written in one of their contradictory letters, as this is what the post is about.
    ...and I was just STATING that you definitely were not sold PPI on New Years Day 1993 :p
    I was just wondering if anyone had a similar situation I suppose and see what the outcome was.. In the end it would be the FSO I suppose. :)
    You do indeed have two contradictory letters.

What you need to establish is which one is mistaken.

If the second letter corrects the first, and you didn't have any PPI, then there will be nothing you, the Bank or the Ombudsman can do as you will have no complaint, I'm afraid.

If you don't trust the Bank to have corrected their error properly, you'll need to write them a Subject Access Request (SAR) letter. For £10, this will legally oblige them to send you all details they have kept on file for you. If no PPI appears on whatever documentation they send you, then you can sleep soundly knowing you had no complaint in the first place.
  • imw1965
    Options
    I started a mortgage with the Woolwich in March 1993 and they are unable to locate it despite  being given the account number and  the ombudsman was unable to find it also
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 February 2020 at 6:16AM
    Options
    imw1965 said:
    I started a mortgage with the Woolwich in March 1993 and they are unable to locate it despite  being given the account number and  the ombudsman was unable to find it also

March 1993 is 27 years ago now and I'm guessing you held the mortgage for only a short time? That being the case, it's entirely feasible (and permissible) for the Bank to have deleted their records of this finance in line with data protection. 

Did you really expect the Ombudsman to somehow "find" records you'd already been told were no longer available? That's really not the role of the Ombudsman....

On a side note, this thread originates from 2017 and some of the earlier information posted back then no longer applies. For example, a Subject Access Request (SAR) no longer has a £10 fee. 
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    imw1965 said:
    The FOS won't be able to find anything as they have no access to records that almost certainly were destroyed a long long time ago.   The regulator recommend 6 years after the end of product is the time to consider destroying records.  Some do it on a phased basis over a longer period but even then you are talking about 27 years ago.  Way past the recommended 6 year period.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure