No records - Fire

Options
Hi,
My dad had a mortgage with Bradford & Bingley but has no records.
Bradford & Bingley had a fire at one of their warehouses and no longer have any records.

Is there anything he can do?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    No. .
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most B&B mortgages were not sold by a B&B branch but used a mortgage broker. If his was one of those, B&B would have no liability anyway.

B&B themselves only retailed standalone monthly premium MPPI. Like most mortgage lenders. So, if it was sold by B&B and not a broker, then its statistically unlikely to be missold. And this assumes there was any MPPI to begin with.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    See if your dad can find bank statements showing the B&B mortgage and separate ppi direct debits at the time. He might also be able to get a copy of the mortgage charge from Land Registry which sometimes shows the account number, costs about £7.

It's probably true that all his paper documents are lost but lenders especially building societies tend to keep transaction history in microfilm which isn't usually destroyed but you do need the mortgage number for them to find a list of his transactions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure