PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a property with Tenant (AST)

Options
Hi all,
I'm looking to buy a house, one i've seen and really like would like to buy it, however the current owner has it let out via an AST agreement.

I'm not familiar with AST's can I serve notice on the tenant or would I have to wait for it to expire? I'm using a mortgage and don't want a BTL mortgage as they are expensive but if I cant serve notice and have to wait say a couple of months until the agreement expires what would the mortgage provider typically agree to?

I'm in pretty good position, I could buy the property and wait to move in, its just the mortgage side of things that I'd like to get advice on? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    What if you had to wait twelve months?
  • greendoor665
    Options
    If you buy it with the tenant in situ you will ONLY be able to get a BTL mortgage. For a normal owner-occupier mortgage the lender will insist on the house being sold with vacant possession i.e. no tenants.

Notice periods if you did buy it with the tenant in place would depend on the tenancy agreement.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    reality check time

you have no interest in becoming a landlord therefore there is no point in explaining anything more than this... you solicitor will NOT allow you to exchange contracts with the vendor until the current tenant is evicted and the vendor can guarantee to offer "vacant possession".

With a residential mortgage your solicitor cannot do anything but that as the lender requires them to do so and your solicitor has a professional liability to meet the requirements of your lender. Are you a first time buyer? this is pretty basic stuff.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The rental agreement that the tenant has got could be 6 months or longer often 12 months. The landlord cannot give notice to the tenant to leave until after 6 months. If the tenant has a longer tenancy the landlord cannot give the tenant notice unless there is a break clause in the contract. When the notice has been given the tenant does not have to leave. They can stay there until the landlord gets possession from the court. It can take longer than 6 months just to get a court hearing. This means that you could easily be waiting for a year or more for the property to be vacant and you can't buy it until it is.

Some people think that buying a tenanted property is a good idea because they are cheaper than similar ones lived in by the people who own them. The reason why they are cheaper is because the landlord would prefer to sell to another landlord. Another landlord won't pay as much but will save the present landlord from possibly having to go to court to get possession or from having a period when the house is vacant and costing them money.

Only you can tell if it is a bit cheaper. If it is then the landlord would like to sell to another landlord.

You will get on better at buying a house if you forget about this one and find one that is owner occupied or vacant now.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You clearly can't buy this property till it is vacant. The current owner/landlord must end the tenancy first.

Your question about how this can be done and how long it takes is valid. We can't see the tenancy agreement so can't answer.

* It could take a week (if the tenants agree) or

* it could take 18 months (if the TA is for another 12 months and then the tenants resist eviction)

I would tell the seller that

a) you are interested, but that
    b) you will not be making an offer till the property is vacant, and
    c) could he therefore contact you when that happens

then keep looking and see if he evicts the tenants or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure