Comments

• polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 February 2017 at 7:56PM
    Options
    Descrabled wrote: »
    Query to polymaff:

Having taken advantage of the new marriage allowance does this mean that the basic allowance for 2016/17 becomes £9900 and the savings allowance of up to £5000 results in a 0% up to £14900. If this is correct then the figures for next year can similarly be calculated.

I might add convincing HMRC is not easy.

Your figures are correct, and the same process will apply in 17/18 (unless something changes - remember, it is all speculation until the Finance Act is passed!), but let's stick to conventional terminology!

A successful election for the Marriage Allowance Transfer will result in your PERSONAL ALLOWANCE reducing by 10%. I didn't include MAT in the visual model I published last April, but if you want to use use the model in either its 16/17, or 17/18, versions, just lower the three lines drawn across the column by that amount.

p.s. Note that NOTHING about the visual model changes as the result of being the Recipient of an MAT.
  • pbolding
    pbolding Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can anyone advise? I have stayed just under the 40 per cent band thanks to pension contributions and charity deductions. So last year, the way HMRC puts it “your basic rate limit has been increased … to £53,000”. I have interest income of around £900. So does that mean for 2016-17 my PSA is £1000 so long as my total income including the interest is under the increased basic rate limit? Or am I missing something?
  • polymaff
    Options
    The legislation states:

(1)Subsections (2) to (4) determine the amount of an individual's savings allowance for a tax year.

(2)If any of the individual's income for the year is additional-rate income, the individual's savings allowance for the year is nil.

(3)If—

(a)any of the individual's income for the year is higher-rate income, and

(b)none of the individual's income for the year is additional-rate income,

the individual's savings allowance for the year is £500.

(4)If none of the individual's income for the year is higher-rate income, the individual's savings allowance for the year is £1,000.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    So to establish the amount of the allowance you work out if you are a basic, higher or additional rate payer.

So if you have taxable salary 42750 and 350 savings interest in 2016:17 (with no other income and just the standard personal allowance of 11000) this makes you have higher rate income and you would get the PSA of 500 so your savings income is actually all taxed at 0% and only 20% tax is payable on the salary.

So are you are a higher rate payer or not????
  • polymaff
    Options
    So are you are a higher rate payer or not????

From the legislation:

each of the following is “higher-rate income”—

(i)income on which income tax is charged at the higher rate or dividend upper rate,

(ii)income on which income tax would be charged at the higher rate but for section 12A (income charged at savings nil rate),

(iii)income on which income tax would be charged at the dividend upper rate but for section 13A (income charged at dividend nil rate), and

(iv)income of an individual who is a Scottish taxpayer or Welsh taxpayer which would, if the individual were not a Scottish taxpayer or Welsh taxpayer (as the case may be), be income on which income tax is charged at the higher rate.”

Which I take to mean that higher-rate income is your adjusted nett income minus your basic rate limit.
  • Lindagreenacre
    Options
    I am retired, with low income (pension) and sometimes pay no or only a few pounds income tax per year, yet I receive savings interest in excess of the £1,000 limit. What happens there?
  • polymaff
    Options
    I am retired, with low income (pension) and sometimes pay no or only a few pounds income tax per year, yet I receive savings interest in excess of the £1,000 limit. What happens there?

Depends upon your actual income. Like to provide some details of what and how much?

Alternatively, DIY at:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=70422918&postcount=9
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would it be right to say if total income is below 17k this tax year there is no tax to pay on savings income even if it is above 1k? However if earned income or pensions are above the 11k allowance then 20% is deducted for that portion for the low income query?
  • polymaff
    edited 22 March 2017 at 5:40PM
    Options
    talexuser wrote: »
    Would it be right to say if total income is below 17k this tax year there is no tax to pay on savings income even if it is above 1k? However if earned income or pensions are above the 11k allowance then 20% is deducted for that portion for the low income query?

"The first £17k tax-free" slogan from HMRC et al is only true when the taxable non-savings income is less than or equal to the Personal Allowance.

So, at the extremes, you could have £17k of taxable savings income and not pay a penny in tax - providing that you have no taxable non-savings income - or £16k of taxable non-savings income with £5k of it taxed, and no more than £1k of taxable savings income at 0%

The key point, as you say, is that once taxable non-savings income exceeds the personal allowance:

a) that excess is taxable, but notice also that,
    b) you lose the excess from your starting rate allowance

- making, for some, the effective tax rate on the first £5k of excess taxable non-savings income getting on for 40%. How fair is that? :)
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 March 2017 at 10:40AM
    Options
    Good point.

Total income 17k
    made up up 11k earnings/pension, 6k of savings interest - zero tax.

Total income 17001
    made up of 11k earnings/pension, 6001 of savings interest - taxable income 6001 minus 5k & 1k savings allowance - £1 - £0.20 tax.

Total income 17k
    made up of 17k earnings/pension - £1200 tax.

*Edited to correct mistake as per below
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure