Glasses Deals Discussion

Options

Comments

• Thomas28
    Options
    Thomas28 wrote: »
    LensWay may or may not have sorted out their problems but I am still waiting for glasses ordered (and paid for) 24 August...

Arrived today, 19 October, exactly eight weeks after the order was placed.
  • Genius85
    Genius85 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 8 November 2011 at 1:04AM
    Options
    Hi,

This is my first post so not sure if anyone has mentioned this before sorry if its been covered

Regarding PD (pupiliary distance) and getting it from your optician

I saw the Lensway £29 all in offer (wearing the glasses now and still cant believe it!) but had my prescription but it didnt have the PD on it. I needed to get it quickly because the site was already showing low stock on the frames I wanted. When I called my optician (large lighstreet chain) refused to give it to me, but whilst I was getting very annoyed with the receptionist had an idea;

the Data Protection Act

I reminded them that they were legaly obligated to provide any personal information that they held about me, and that I could drop off a request in writing, but then they would be legaly obligated to give me a written answer. I was on hold for less than an minute then she gave me the measurement over the phone.

Also wanted to say regarding Lensway customer service, I called them about 4 weeks after I ordered as nothing had turned up and there was no tracking info on the website when I logged in to view the order. I was on hold for 40ish minutes, then when I did get through to someone I was just told that the delivery service was from canada and did not have any tracking. I was more than just a little annoyed with them, the frames alone were worth almost £200, and they sent them all the way from Canada on an untracked delivery service!

Any way the glasses turned up a few days later and I am delighted with Lensway, after thinking about it the glasses are only worth £200 to me, to them the contents of the box they delivered the glasses in, along with an extra case, cleaning cloth and keyring tool were clearly only worth £29 less the cost of delivery. Now I have the glasses and am so impressed with them I have thought about it from the perspective of the retailer, and to Lensway at that value you would send it as cheaply as possible, and as a customer I should really have expected it, I mean £29 Oakleys with lenses!

It was maybe just me being a tight Yorkshireman, but I'm sure most of you did it too, chasing th dream of £29 specs completely disregarded the premium delivery option, (Did anyone pay the extra??? I remember there was an option but did not read care about it to remember how much, it just wouldn't have felt right paying more than £29) basically telling them that I am not bothered enough about getting them quickly to pay a few extra quid, during the week when they probably took more orders than the would in an average couple of months. I was livid by the time I got through to a advisor on the phone because of the time spent on hold and have to admit I made that very clear at the time what I thought of the company and customer service! Thinking about it now I bet there phones were overloaded by us tight impatient money savers wanting the world yesterday.

Sorry if this sounds like an advert for Lensway but I think they deserve it, I was rude to a few of their staff, but really all they did wrong was send my order on a cheap delivery service, and that was my own fault!

They managed to deliver me a pair of designer glasses with lenses fo rjust £29 and as it turns out all the way from Canada! Just wish I had ordered 2 pairs..............maybe then the premium delivery wouldnt have seemed so bad devided by 2

EDIT Just seen the length of the post sorry
  • selyts
    selyts Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies if this has been covered before but I couldn't find anything when I did a search in the forum. Has anyone tried the Daysoft glasses, I currently get my contact lenses through them but am considering getting a spare pair of specs from their site.
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    You can also get 16% cashback on Lensway orders:
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/lensway/
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • themilster
    Options
    Rip-off U.K.

New to this, so sorry if I'm on the wrong forum.

Lensway
    : l've taken advantage of their offer (via MSE) once previously, and then, as now, whilst selecting my specs, I also searched Google for a price comparison. Why is that my heavily discounted Lensway U.K. specs - Joseph Marc 4037 - (£109 down to £29) can be bought on the Lensway U.S.A. site for $50 (U.S. Dollars - approx. £32 using travellers rates) AT ANY TIME . They can also be found just as cheap without discount via other companies in Canada and New Zealand. I find this happens a lot on Amazon, too: compare a thing on Amazon.com (U.S.A) and you would pay the same figure in Dollars as one does in Sterling - this is outrageous. I don't know if Martin Lewis reads these posts, but an investigation into this is long overdue. To be fair to Lensway U.K., I've made a decent saving (compared to not using the discount code) buying a pair of Tom Ford glasses for £29: the cheapest I can find them on-line anywhere is in America - not Lensway - for £79 (U.S. $108), but that price is still well below what Lensway U.K. claim is their 'value' - £199 or a staggering $399 USD. Interestingly, this model (Tom Ford 5133 056) is no longer available on the Lensway USA site: are we in the U.K. getting the end of line models from the U.S.A. but being charged top prices? Over to you Mr Lewis, what do Lensway have to say about this?

For information, I had no problem using the current Lensway code, but then, as it's a bit of smoke and mirrors, why would there be a problem?
  • chrisalan
    Options
    Correct! :)
    I just had to write to explain that actually on specs there are no "arms" they are "sides". Years ago when I worked for Batemans Opticians with a very experienced older gent as the Dispensing Optician, told me in no uncertain terms that "Specs do not have arms or legs, they have sides", I considered myself appropriately chastised, but I have never made the mistake again!!!!

Just a thought I would share with you;)
  • maimee_magic
    Options
    Does anyone know what the sizes small, medium and large are. I've looked on the Lensway site but can't find any explanation. If anyone's got a free friend code I'd appreciate it.
  • Smick100
    Smick100 Posts: 283 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just received two pairs of glasses from lensway. One set I think the perscription is slightly off, the other it is way off, I could hardly put them on. They say that they will give a store credit on the back of the order slip. I phoned them up but they seem to be closed for the Christmas period although it is not a bank or public holiday.

I am not impressed at all!
  • JonBiel
    JonBiel Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Free NHS test details should also be on the list. Not really a complaint just a sugestion.I looked up the free eye test at TESCO and found nearest store was over 30miles away and did not like the thought of going to the "House of HELL" as it is known in our family. I was about to print up the BOOTs voucher not really wanting to hand over my money to them, when I read "There is no cash alternative or refund for an NHS eye test permitted with this offer" I know it sounds stupid but as eye tests are an often over looked area of regular health checks our free entitlement where it does exist is not widely understood. I am proof, it had not oocured to me that I could get a free (refunded) Eye Test on the good old NHS with my Tax Credit Exemption Certificate. All the best, Jon B. Happy New year to all in the office, great job guys!.
  • redbeard2000
    redbeard2000 Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2012 at 2:35PM
    Options
    I have used Glassesdirect for a couple of their free home trials (up to 4 frames to try on at home) and was excited to receive their January sales email which confirmed their thinnest lenses with coatings were selling for £75, with BOGOF on most frames.

Unfortunately, after reading the fine print, it turns out they can't accommodate my prescription because it's more than +/- 8!

I'm looking at some of the other retailers mentioned here in the guide and would make the following comments:-

On some sites - for example, Lensway and Spex4less, the thinnest lenses are only 1.67 high index, when 1.74 super high index are thinner, depending on the size of the frames. Stick with a small frame to have a less noticeable thickness around the outer rim of your specs.

Spex4less can only meet prescriptions that are no more than +/- 6.

39dollarglasses offer 1.74 super high index lenses, for prescriptions up to +/- 12, but I'm a bit wary buying from overseas. Does anyone have experience of buying the more expensive specs from overseas, especially with regard to duty charges?

Selectspecs look good (1.74 super high index up to -20,+12) but seem to have the most expensive price for these lenses (£109).

So after all that I will probably go to Specsavers as they are selling their 'ultimate thin & light' lenses for £50 if I pay £69 or more on frames! Plus they will measure my PD and check the fitting.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure