Fiat 500 v's Kia Picanto

Options

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,059 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think they fixed it with a software patch, like VW "fixed" the emissions

Stig deliberately failing to go up a tiny hill because the BBC paid him not to-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFpa26h5Hp8
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kia should be more reliable, has a better gearbox, and has a 7 year warranty compared to the 500's 2 year warranty. And it's more practical. No it doesn't look as cute and it will depreciate faster but other than that it's a no brainer, if you're limiting yourself to these 2 cars.
  • jase1
    jase1 Posts: 2,308 Forumite
    Options
    I recently bought a used Ka which is a 500 under the skin.

It seems to be reliable enough so far although build quality is average at best. Typical Fiat really.

The Kia will be built better from past experiences with them.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    You are aware of the vehicle tax changes on April 1st 2017 ??
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-vehicle-tax-rates-from-1-april-2017
    I presume from the wording of your original post that they are secondhand ??
    The Kia 7 year warranty is hard to beat.
    I know because I have driven Kia vehicles for 10 years now.
    We have 4 in our family now.
    HTH
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I drive a 500, the 1.2 Lounge. You didn't say which trim level you've looked at, but the Pop is the more basic with trims instead of alloys, no glass roof, no split seats and no air con.

I've never had a problem with it at all. It's depreciated very little as it's the car all young new girl drivers seem to want. Early 500's had issues with the door handles being loose. The hills issue was with newer models (possibly 14 plate onwards) but has been corrected by dealer.

Just to throw a curve ball at you, my daughter has just bought a Toyota Aygo and thats a lovely little car.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Options
    "Just to throw a curve ball at you, my daughter has just bought a Toyota Aygo and thats a lovely little car."
    Yes, it is but the O.P. needs an automatic and the Aygo still uses the Multimode transmission which is an automated manual, is absolutely awful to drive and expensive to repair when (not if) it starts to give problems.
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2017 at 1:37AM
    Options
    jase1 wrote: »
    I recently bought a used Ka which is a 500 under the skin.

It seems to be reliable enough so far although build quality is average at best. Typical Fiat really.

The Kia will be built better from past experiences with them.

Really? How many have you owned?

I'm on my 16th atm and have only experienced "build quality" issues with one of them which was back in 1980. Hardly "typical" in my experience.

For info, the 500 and KA (2009 on version) are both made in the same factory in Poland... by Fiat. I've only driven the manual version so apart from that side of the OP's requirements, the 500 is a great little car. Lets face it, you can hardly drive anywhere without seeing at least one so they can't be that bad.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • jase1
    jase1 Posts: 2,308 Forumite
    Options
    You can hardly drive anywhere in Russia without seeing a Lada, so they can't be that bad.
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Options
    jase1 wrote: »
    You can hardly drive anywhere in Russia without seeing a Lada, so they can't be that bad.

Your'e absolutely right. But then they did originate as a Fiat 'cast off'. Good to hear they are still going! :T
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Fiats will be better built as Kia are budget cars...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure