Are value / Basic brands disappearing from the supermarkets?

Options

Comments

• trinidadone
    Options
    Sorry I had to smile at that, the power of brands. Value fairy doesn't exist its washing up liquid :D

I will be sad to see the value brands go. I like to shop in supermarkets where I can pick from some value items / some brand names.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOps well spotted :)
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    KxMx wrote: »
    These returned under a different guise identical in every way, price and weight/size.

And very recently the toilet rolls in my previous post matched in price & exact sizing.

They will do for now so value shoppers will be pleased and remain loyal but give it a few months and I bet the the price will start to creep up closer to regular price and it won't be so noticeable as its no longer labelled a valve brand.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have used value washing up liquid and its false economy. You need loads of it to make the water full of suds then add more as it doesn't clean.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What store are you refering to?

Sorry, brain fog.

:)

T35c0
  • trinidadone
    Options
    Sorry, brain fog.

T35c0

I meant to ask, what company?
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sorry, brain fog.

T35c0
    I meant to ask, what company?
    Er, Tesco.

;)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There are many value lines which are 5-10p less than the standard line. Once upon a time, the value lines were half the price of the normal.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    They will do for now so value shoppers will be pleased and remain loyal but give it a few months and I bet the the price will start to creep up closer to regular price and it won't be so noticeable as its no longer labelled a valve brand.

The toilet rolls are a recent re-appearance so I can't comment on those.

But the other two products I linked to have been back for around a year at the same price as the value predecessor.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    another possibility is with the upsurge of pound shops and discount supermarkets the big SM's are feeling the pinch, and foolishly thinking if they stop selling value brands it will, for some reason make folk want to spend more on branded goods.

With the state of a lot of people's finances, and the amount of JAM families I think they will suddenly realise that folk have voted with their feet and their wallets and they will find full shelves and empty stores.

I now only shop 2-3 times a month and am trying to use up what I have in my own store cupboards before buying anything else I also use the comparison websites such as mysupermarket .com to find the best price I can
  • lily117
    lily117 Posts: 610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mr T< Asda, sainsburys. Morrisons, where?
    Tesco Swansea Marina.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport