PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

£20 left until 15 May

Options
For various reasons I've only got £20 left in my grocery budget to last until 15 May. I could move some money from one of my other pots into the grocery pot but I'm quite determined not to do that. Luckily I only have to feed myself and I've got quite a bit of food in the freezer/cupboards.

I've been finding it really difficult to cook properly as I've been down in the dumps lately. If I'm not careful I'll end up buying on impulse and not eating properly. I desperately want to come up with a menu plan but I feel totally overwhelmed. I simply can't get my act together to work out a shopping list for fresh stuff either. Help!!!

I don't need to buy any laundry or cleaning products. For breakfast I've got porridge oats in stock (I just have to remember to eat a proper breakfast every day....). For main meals I've got the following in stock:

- 2 pork chops
- 2 salmon tail pieces
- 2 pieces lamb neck fillet
- 1 mediterranean salsa breaded salmon
- 2 sausages
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 whole mackerel
- 1 tuna steak
- 4 kidneys
- 2 large lamb shanks

I've got virtually no fresh fruit or veg in stock. However, I've got enough different packets of rice/pasta/flour to sink a battleship (even an unopened packet of Thai jasmine rice). There's a couple of tins of pulses and a tin of tuna lurking in the cupboard, a random jar of tapenade, half a jar of aubergine pesto (why???) and a huge unopened tin of maple syrup (don't ask!!!). Lunches are going to be a real problem - I can't imagine how to sort them out. I love soup but I don't have a stick blender and am fed up of cooking the same chunky soups all the time. I've got six submarine rolls in the freezer.

Can anyone make any suggestions to help me cope with the next couple of weeks?

Comments

• twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    as i see it you have plenty to last you till the 15th. you can buy a good stick blender from asda for five pounds then you can do your soup, pop into the supermarket later on and see if there are any bargains, often the fruit and veg is okay and the bread is often reduced too, someone else will be able to give you more advice as to the different threads there is on recipes etc
  • tina68
    tina68 Posts: 461 Forumite
    Options
    Try to go to as many peoples houses as you can, then use up your own food when thats all used try to get a job until payday in a takeaway. you get a free meal
    In all seriousness it seems you have plenty to survive on, you are probably panicked 'cause all you can think of is £20.00 it's a money diet..don't buy packs of veg it may well get wasted so just buy what you need and no more
    Promise me? If you can do it til 15th May challenge yourself to do it again. also plan your meals each day to go with what you have already, if you fancy pizza make one with your sub rolls, tin toms. cheese slice and 2 mushrooms, so what if checkout girl looks at you strangley for checking through 2 mushrooms :T
    Tina x x
    on this day 23/05/1430
    Joan of Arc captured and delivered to the English
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mush your pulses up with cumin and chilli powder and call it sicy bean spread, then whack it on home made bread (with the flour); or make pasta salad with leftovers from dinner.
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Beans on toast for lunch? 15 p for a tin of beans?
    Get some eggs for an omelette?
    Tuna pasta bake?
    Have a look on www.hillbillyhousewife.com so you can get some good ideas off the recipes there, the rice mixes are really good.
    HTH
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    PS the rice and roni makes a meal on it own - very cheap and easy - if you have rice and spaghetti.
  • caroline1973lefty
    Options
    :grouphug: I hope you feel better soon - when I'm down I find it difficult to cook for myself too, as it's just me I need to worry about.
    I just wondered if you had any vitamins in the cupboard - if you're anything like me you've got some that you don't take as regularly as you should! I know that when I eat a regular 3 meals a day AND take my vitamins I feel miles better in myself. Along with keeping in contact with friends and a bit of exercise. Also I found this book 'The Food and Mood Handbook' really interesting - there are a few books like this. Also on the MIND website there is some interesting links between food and mood. Good mood food can be really cheap - cottage cheese in sweet potato (yum), turkey stir-fry, or sardines on toast all have lots of mood-boosting nutrients in. (And oats are a natural anti-depressant too!).
    "The Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed" - Ghandi
  • MinnieSpender
    MinnieSpender Posts: 2,975 Forumite
    Options
    Try to make sure you get some fruit and veg in your diet. Check out your local market stalls late on a Saturday afternoon for cheap sell offs. I can easily get a couple of carrier bags full of stuff for a fiver from ours.

Good luck!
    :eek: What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about? :eek:
    Official "Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)" Member 16
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Quick Question-Do you have a slow cooker?

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    farmfoods - do frozen veg from 60p a bag which you could use to bulk out meals to make more and freeze or as a side to a meal.
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Hi Again

Basically you need enough meals to cover 18/19 meals:eek: ....only joking hun. With what you have already and assuming you have a SC-think I could do it ok. This is what I would do:

2 pork chops-I would put chop, put in SC and make some kids of cassarole, adding a tin of tomatoes, onion, frozen veg. Could add a dumpling or two? If you have spuds, you could dice and put these in there or serve with rice or the pasta you have. Could always pad out with a tin of baked beans. This should make enough for 4 good portions and could be frozen to have on non consecutive days.

2 salmon tail pieces-depends on size of them really. I would serve one with lemon and butter flaked into some pasta and the other whole coated with maybe aubergine paste?? with a huge baked spud. Depending on size this is 2-4 portions

2 lamb neck fillets-Again I would do some kind of stew in SC similar to pork chops and cook slowly to get all meat off. Add whatever you have and serve with mash....any left overs could be used as a soup. SHould be about 4 portions depending on size again. Can be frozen.

1 mediterranean salsa breaded salmon-this i would enjoy by itself with either new potatoes and salad or with pasta and butter. How big is the piece? Could it stretch 2 days or a main and a small lunch with a spud?

2 sausages-basic sausage, mash and beans

1 chicken breast-Probably would curry it. Slice into thin slices. Need an onion, curry paste or similar, tin of toms, tins of beans to pad out? Add any veg to it and serve with rice. This should make at least 2-3 good sized portions. Or 2 big portions and 2 smaller for baked spuds at lunch?

1 whole mackerel-how about fishcakes, or fish pie or even a fish quiche? Should do about 3 good sized meals.

1 tuna steak-I like these well seasoned with lemon and butter served with new spuds or jacket spuds. How big is it? If enough left, you caould flake into pasta or rice and make another lunch from it.

4 kidneys-Dont eat these, but how big are they? You should be able to pad out with other ingredients and make 2 meals served with rice/pasta or spuds.

2 large lamb shanks-I would again put these in the SC and add whatever I had. Most spices work well with lamb. You could get all the meat off and use for curries/soups/stew etc-should make 4-6 meals if you add enough other items to it.

HTH. I would think buying potatoes and frozen veg to pad items out would be a good idea. Cheap tins of beans and toms are lifesavers. Also, pop to local supermarkets late if possible and you can grab some excellent bargains for pennies. Maybe you could make a large veggi chilli and take into work this with a baked spud or cook up some rice and pasta you have and eat this. Not much of a varied diet but will get you through the next 2 weeks hopefuly.

Good Luck.
    PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income